Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 Patrician 400 Parts
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packard Illiterati
See User information
My brother and I purchased a donor 1953 Packard 400 for the parts that are missing on the restoration project car we're currently working on. While going through the vehicle's contents, we ran across an oddity that I'm unable to find any reference anywhere online. The best I can describe is that it's possibly a keyed governor. It has two knobs, and they turned sheathed cables with slotted ends. Both knobs and their respective cables work, but we have no key to determine if the device can be operated.

I did take several photos of the device and are posting them. As a Graphic Designer, I know the type used on the dial's face is Art Deco, and likely used into the late 30s, but certainly not in use by the mid 40s and later.

Once the contents of the vehicle have been inspected and categorized, they will be posted as items for sale. There's a lot of beautiful and perfect stainless trim inside the donor, along with Clipper trim and interior pieces. That will be a little later, for those who may ask.

Thank you for any insight you can give. I appreciate it.

Kind regards!

Miscellaneous Parts Front
Miscellaneous Parts Back

Posted on: 2015/2/10 12:15
 Top  Print 

Re: 1953 Patrician 400 Parts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I do believe it is a radio head but for which year I am not sure. The older radios had a small control unit on the dash connected via the cables and sometimes wires to a large box containing the rest of the works that resided on the firewall under the dash. The 36 120 shows a key under the radio head so not sure if they were in different places for different models or that one is separate. At any rate would guess the item is from the mid 30s era and maybe even for an aftermarket radio.

EDIT: There is an item on ebay identified as a 34 head. Slightly different shape but shows a key in the same location.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.16 KB)
209_54da4184d77ab.jpg 245X319 px

jpg  (26.75 KB)
209_54da42d568724.jpg 278X437 px

Posted on: 2015/2/10 12:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packard Illiterati
See User information
Thank you, Howard! After that huge lead, I got online and did indeed find it's a Keyed Radio Head. Now all I have to do is to identify the application. According to what I've been able to find, I need to remove the two slotted screws and look under the cover. There will be a maker's mark inside the body somewhere. Now I'll have to dig into the car itself to see if I can locate the key for it. I doubt it's there, but I use a really good old-timer locksmith who can replicate nearly anything with a lock and tumblers.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 13:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Illiterati,

Even though the '53 400 is a parts car, please don't forget to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry. The amount of detail in your present '53 Patrician Touring Sedan entry is outstanding!

Posted on: 2015/2/10 15:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for including your parts car '53 Patrician Touring Sedan in the Registry.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 21:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved