Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 88

Todd W. White, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1940 160 trunk convertible sedan, carpet or mat?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

trimacar
See User information
Am working on a 1940 160 convertible sedan. Can anyone tell or show me how the trunk was finished? Cardboard on the sides? Rubber mat or carpet on the floor? Want to do what's original and don't know what this is at this point. Would appreciate any help thanks David Coco Winchester Va. david.coco@comcast.net

Posted on: 2015/2/17 6:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 160 trunk convertible sedan, carpet or mat?
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Are the trunk areas judged and required to be factory correct? Seems the correct material is not available for some later models and as such some are using a close repro and others using modern materials.

Posted on: 2015/2/17 8:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Per the Nov 1, 1938 Service Letter, they started using a beige rayon flocking in the trunks on the 17th series so assume that continued onward since it was also used in postwar cars. Flocking is available today but the fibers are much finer and smoother in texture than those Packard used in trunks. It was typically applied to the sides and over the wheelwells and rounded surfaces but apparently colors did vary slightly over the years There is some question if it was also on the flat floor. The purpose of the article was to inform dealers on tools and how to repair the flocking if it became damaged.

EDIT: Just read the discussion at AACA and since the consensus is there was no mat on a convertible sedan, would still think they probably did the flocking rather than leave it plain or painted metal.

Posted on: 2015/2/17 9:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

trimacar
See User information
The flocking is an interesting thing, although it would seem that it wouldn't hold up well. Thanks for comments. As I stated on the AACA forums, I find it hard to believe that the metal floor in an upscale 160 would be left bare metal, but anything's possible. The fellow who owns the car I'm working on wants it done as correctly as possible, that's why I'm looking for originality. thanks

Posted on: 2015/2/17 11:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The flocking is in my car (I've always called it carpet). It is on the sides, and on the floor. It has a fiberboard backing of some sort, which makes it look flat when sitting on the ribbed floor of the trunk. I always thought that "flocking" was some sort of spray on procedure. This stuff is definitely not spray on, which is why I've always called it carpet.

Posted on: 2015/2/17 13:29
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The flocking in this case is definitely spray on. That service letter gives the name and part number of the fibers used on 17th series, the type of adhesive and shows a small applicator tool with instructions on how to apply the adhesive and recoat the fibers. Even though Packard says it is, I agree the stuff is not very durable particularly if there is luggage scraped across it. That is probably the reason for the repair procedure.

The 41 fact book goes into detail on how those trunks are prepared and the flock applied but since we don't have a 40 book unknown if the same procedure was used. I would almost bet it was but if the convertible sedan has no mat it is sure interesting they would treat one model differently than the rest. There is a photo of the 41 treatment but the quality is poor. The carpet vs the leatherette mat is not detailed. Probably carpet on seniors, leatherette or rubber on juniors.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.22 KB)
209_54e38f5b4089e.jpg 190X460 px

jpg  (58.92 KB)
209_54e38f66bdb78.jpg 549X331 px

Posted on: 2015/2/17 13:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
This isn't my trunk, but it looks the same with the all original material. Carpeted top, bottom and sides.

Attach file:

jpg  (89.55 KB)
404_54e3bc32596cd.jpg 995X659 px

Posted on: 2015/2/17 17:10
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
There are a couple of Project Blogs here on '40 Senior Convertible Sedans. Can't remember if they got into their trunks in detail, but you just never know.

Joe's - The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan

Jim's - 1940 Super 8 160 Model 1803 Project

Posted on: 2015/2/18 0:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
This is what Gene Tarewhawty has to say about it:

"The material for the 180" is called hogshair. It is dark brown. The trunk floor of a 160 had pebble grained cardboard and the walls were tan flocked. The 180s had hogshair brown carpet over the brown cardboard and the same hogshair material on the walls."

Posted on: 2015/2/18 7:59
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though it's been a number of years since I purchased any, Bill Hirsch used to carry a number of hogshair carpet materials including at least one in a very dark brown. It was a very good match for what was used for interior carpet in the Eights and Super Eights of the mid-30s, a bit more plush than trunk hogshair but perhaps the good alternative.

Might also consider what LeBaron-Bonney might have.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 11:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved