Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New here and interested in this 1948 Coupe, what do the pro's think?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Christian
See User information
Hey all!
Not new to forums or old cars but new to this and Packards :)

I came across this 1948 Coupe on Craigslist that is local to me and was wondering what the pro's have to say about it? I noticed it was also posted here in the CL section but not much was said about it.

What's the good, the bad, the ugly?

It doesn't appear to be a "steal" by any means, but it sure appears original.

I understand this coupe came in three variants and was wondering which one this was.

And lastly, is this worth going to look at with $8k in hand?

Thanks all!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/2/18 16:18
 Top  Print 

Re: New here and interested in this 1948 Coupe, what do the pro's think?
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Indetrucks

Welcome! That '48 Deluxe Eight club sedan appears to be one of the most nicely preserved originals that's turned up for sale in a while. Whether its worth the price or some figure near that depends upon how good it is mechanically and physically as well as how much one prizes factory original condition.

What's observable in the photos is the need to stabilize the paintwork, possibly blend some new finish on the top surfaces to prevent further deterioration. To determine how well or poorly preserved are the other aspects and systems should be done in person.

Many forum participants here are far more familiar with this series than I and stand by willing to help with your condition assessment and price evaluation. Please let us know what you discover when you investigate this car in person.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/2/18 17:02
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Christian(Indetrucks),

to PackardInfo. Unfortunately I can't help with answers to your questions but I'm sure there will others who can.

And if you do purchase this or any other Packard I invite you to include it/them in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 17:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Christian
See User information
Thanks for the warm welcome all!

I might take a look at it in a couple weeks as I'm out of town this weekend.
It's a beautiful car and I would not change a thing.
What if I polished and clear coated over the Patina in order to preserve the paint? Was thinking about doing that.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 17:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Actually there are 4 versions
Eight: 288 engine
Eight Deluxe (this one) same mechanically, some trim differences
Super Eight: 327
Custom Eight 356

I would check the interior - I believe an Eight Deluxe used a wool broadcloth, striped. It would be quite expensive to replace it correctly or nearly so. OD would be a plus.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 20:52
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jeff P-MN
See User information
I looked at the Craigslist posting the other day and am impressed with this car. It would make a great driver. Too bad I am halfway across the country. As an owner of a '48 I sure enjoy driving these cars, very comfortable.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 22:41
1913 Ford Runabout
1926 Ford T Touring
1948 Chrysler NY’er Highlander
1948 Packard Station Sedan regrettably sold in 2019
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Best to go to either Hagerty.com or CAAARguide.com and look up the current prices and conditions for this model and then compare to this one(up close). The very best ones sell low $20Ks. There's a few comparables out there now but not many. If it's in decent shape and running with low miles I doubt 8 would buy it, but if it did it be a good buy.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 20:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
In the Southern California market, for that car $8K would be a good buy. I've seen ones in worse shape listed here sell for that and more.

Now if that car were in the midwest, the price might be lower. All depends on the area of the country you're in.

I bought my 2255 (the Custom 8 club), for considerably less that this car, but with transporting the car and its condition in a more deteriorated state, I'll absolutely spend far more that the asking price of your Deluxe club sedan getting it to at least that nice shape.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 20:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
it looks like a very good buy as long as the mechanicals are in good shape, and there isn't any rust in the body (a bit in the trunk or floor board isn't a tough fix). Only problem is when I clicked on it, it said that the ad had been removed.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 21:28
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved