Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 53 327 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
That doesn't sound to pretty. Was the 327 longer?

Posted on: 2015/2/20 20:36
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Just the accumulated total of the bores would make the 327 engine two and a half inches longer than the old 320.
Examining how well done the conversion is should give clues to whether it was a dealer or just some other garage. If its well done, preserving it as an example of the practical solutions Packard offered its loyal owners would be worthwhile.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/2/20 20:55
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
But even if it was done by the dealer and without documentation how would a judging panel look at it if you show it? (Besides from the fact that most people are not familiar enough to tell the difference).

Posted on: 2015/2/21 8:43

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi BDC

I suppose a judging committee would dock points for a non-authentic model year engine if the car is to be subjected to club judging. If documentation accompanied the car showing such service replacements were a factory authorized and supported activity, then the point docking would have to be decided by the judges in charge.....sticky question.

If the car is simply to be preserved and enjoyed, I see nothing wrong with keeping it as it is for now, perhaps organized the correct '36 Eight engine for later installation. Either way, having the factory documents to show that such conversions were factory supported would be worthwhile.

Do you have photos of this '36 Eight to share? If it is a 1401 club sedan without sidemounts, well.....might have to mortgage the house.....!

Steve

Posted on: 2015/2/21 10:35
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Don't have good pictures yet just mediocre ones and no its not a club sedan without side mounts. There was 1 for sale like that in Michigan last year!

Posted on: 2015/2/23 15:09

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi BDC

Not a club sedan, darn. Though a 1400 sedan with the 327 engine would make a nice regular driver. It would be interesting to see how the conversion was accomplished.

As folks took a practical approach in those years, a good sedan with a tired engine was a prime candidate given an owner who wanted to get more miles at a reasonable expense. From a era when cars got rejuvenated rather than traded.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/2/23 18:31
.....epigram time.....
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Big Kev, it has not a different engine number. The seller was told it was a 53, and it has a Dec 53 casting date on the block. That being said it's a 54 of course. The engine number shows it to be a 54, 327 5 bearing with hydraulic lifters. According to the engine number reference it would of been out of a Cavalier.

Posted on: 2015/3/13 16:17

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi BDC

How does the conversion look? Good, workmanlike installation? Hack job? Any photos to share?

Steve

Posted on: 2015/3/13 18:17
.....epigram time.....
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Steve,I have some pictures but I'm on my phone and I don't have a way to downsize them.
When it comes to judging: there would be a lot of little things that they would deduct points for.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 7:53

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

BDC wrote:
Steve,I have some pictures but I'm on my phone and I don't have a way to downsize them.
When it comes to judging: there would be a lot of little things that they would deduct points for.

I think there is a procedure described in the FAQ section for sizing photos to post. I transfer photos from my iPhone to my iMac, move them into iPhoto, export them from there in a smaller size to my desktop, and then select them from there to post here. This also allows me to do other edits like orientation and trimming.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/3/21 13:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved