Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 138

DavidM, 39Rollson, Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Build Sheet Decoding
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
I was fortunate to find the build sheet in place and readable on top of the glove box frame. I'm able to decode the first row--model, color code, production sequence, etc.

The other rows are a mystery.

The second row is : TB REQ. 692..

The third row is blank.

The fourth row is : 21 Then a penciled in: 322

Any ideas what the second and fourth rows mean?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 11:43
 Top  Print 

Re: Build Sheet Decoding
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It would help to know what year or series car, and what model. Based on other known production slips, the "REQ 692" almost certainly refers to a special production request, perhaps interior upholstery? I'm not aware of any special feature order code "TB" for any 22nd or later series car, though there is a "TG" for club coupes. And 692 is not a upholstery/trim code that I can find. Wish I could help more, perhaps a photo of the slip would be helpful.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 12:07
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
The car is a 1953 Caribbean. The only thing unusual is the paint code 'R'. The color is an orange-red like the former Mary Lou Wilson 'Crimson Lady' in CA and the car in the May 2005 issue of Hemmings Classic Cars. The trim code is 76--maroon and white leather.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 22:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the added information. Not much I can add, except that, as your perhaps aware, paint code "R" denoted a non-stock color being applied to one or more (but a small number) or production cars to judge the public's reaction to a new color.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 23:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
what color code is shown on the door plate? I know on other custom color ordered 53 Caribbeans the regular color code was listed on the door plate if it was an offered 1953 color, the other two reported (but not confirmed) factory red cars have red interiors and not matador maroon, both other red cars known have missing door plates or no build sheets found so I do not have confirmation of a factory delivered red car yet. I have confirmation of two factory delivered black cars delivered. A few were even dealer painted but not factory (or Ionia) painted

Posted on: 2015/2/21 0:36
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
The color code on the door plate is 'R', same as the build sheet.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 23:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
very cool, you may have the first 100% confirmed red car then! congrats!

Posted on: 2015/2/22 0:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Is the car still in its original paint?

Posted on: 2015/2/22 8:28
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
When I bought the car (1973) it was black and in very poor condition--lots of rust. When I was finally able to start restoring it, and began taking off the chrome, it was red under the chrome, red under the fenders, etc. Every piece of chrome removed--red underneath. The car had also been undercoated, and when I started to remove that I found the red under the fenders. The gas door had undercoat on it, and when I removed that undercoat--red. Under the red is primer, no previous color. Have lots of pictures documenting the disassembly, and color as found.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 23:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
so you found red paint on the undersides of the fenders or when sanding off the black paint on the topsides of the fenders?

normally on a rougher car the door plate paint code stamping is long gone and usually unreadable, you are fortunate

Posted on: 2015/2/23 2:27
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved