Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 61

CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Charging system issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Yup. O D is on point again. I had used that test many times if the load testing shunt was unavailable

Posted on: 2015/3/25 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
The 8 volt system is generally not the way to go.

If you connect a meter from the BAT terminal on the generator and the car frame as ground and there is any voltage less than your battery your generator is not working.

With the motor running of course.

measuring as above, take a clip lead (wire with a couple of aligator clips) and briefly touch the F or Field terminal on the generator to ground.

If the generator is working the voltage will rise fairly quickly so don't leave the wire on long (seconds).

If everything in the car is 6 volt I would go back to 6 volt Pos ground.

A lot of people tweak the regulator to get it to run 8 volts. Regulators are specific to neg or pos ground.

Usually improper battery cables are the cause of upping the voltage, which I should add will shorten the life of light bulbs which are getting harder to find.

Jim

Posted on: 2015/3/25 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Hi Ernie,

I know Robert, Cal and the guys at Custom Auto very well. I don't think there is a better group around for my Packards. Unfortunately, I now live in Cambria, about 300 miles north. Once I get the '52 running (charging) reliably, I'll be driving it down to Robert to have them check it out for me and get a few things done that I want. If I still lived in Irvine, this would all be easily addressed. Unfortunately, I split my time between Beijing and San Francisco and make it to Cambria - where the '52 is - maybe once a month for a day or two. Haven't been to OC for well over a year. I miss it.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 11:02
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Unfortunately, there is only an indicator light on the '52, not an ammeter. But, I do have an auto repair shop in the small complex where my garage is. I am sure they have the equipment HH is talking about. All friends. If I can get there on a week day, they would help. I am just trying to do what I can on the occasional week end.

I appreciate the help and suggestions from everyone on the forum here.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 11:13
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure, testing the charging rate with the proper equipment is best. But even with a GEN 'idiot light" you can still make a determination about the adequacy of a generator's charging rate (amps) with just a voltmeter. Follow what I described above, running the engine with the headlights, heater and other electrical accessories on and a voltmeter across the battery. If as you increase engine speed the lights get brighter, the GEN light goes out, and the battery voltage rises to above that of a static battery (about 6.4 volts) to perhaps 7.3 volts or so, the charging system is effective. If the battery voltage falls to less than 6.4-6.4, the charging rate is inadequate. If the battery voltage falls into the less-than 6 volt range, you probably have no charging.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 12:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Jim,
for including your '52 250 Convertible Coupe in the Registry!

Posted on: 2015/3/26 15:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Just to close this out. Thanks to all for the help. I pulled the generator and had it rebuilt. I was told there were several flat spots but the tech felt it would charge, just not very well. I also bought a voltage regulator. I replaced them (and the idiot light bulb) together. Now everything works.
The charging light comes on at low idle and the system charges great. I don't really know which component was the issue, but I feel like the charging system is pretty reliable now.
One less thing to worry about while cruising with my little bride..
Again, I really appreciate the helpful suggestions.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 2:31
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved