Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Robert J. Neal, author & Packard historian
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just received the sad news that Robert J. Neal, the author of so many excellent books on Packard, passed away yesterday after a prolonged illness. Those of us who have read Robert's books will recognize what a great loss this is to the Packard world. I was fortunate enough to meet Robert several times and to have made a small contribution to some of his work. A fine gentleman, historian, and author.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 7:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Robert J. Neal, author & Packard historian
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Thanks Owen for relaying the sad news. I'm reading the 1951 to 1954 book currently, what a magnificent job he did of documenting so much of Packard's rich and varied history. It is indeed a terrible loss for the Packard world. Rest in peace, Mr. Neal, your work will forever be read and appreciated and never be forgotten.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/2/21 8:02
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is a loss. Not being into engines that heavily, I came to his books rather late -- but better late than never. The amount of research he accomplished and how he was able to put scant pieces of information together to detail the whole story is incredible. Such a shame he couldn't have completed the story with a volume on the last 2 or even 4 years. If the previous volumes are any indication it would have been the definitive piece. Heard rumors at one time that someone was thinking of taking on that final chapter but nothing since. Don't expect to see it in my lifetime.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 10:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
This is truly a loss for Packard aficionados. I had been encouraging him to do a book on the V8 Packards, but each time he frankly told me he didn't have it in him. It would be wonderful if someone picked up the torch and did this.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 12:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Irreplaceable - our world has lost one of its lights.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Sad news about Robert Neal's passing. I had the opportunity to exchange a few e-mails with him on my early Packard memories. I am currently reading his last book about the 51-54 Packards. It is taking a while as the content is so rich. Perhaps a way to honor his memory would be for the PAC to establish a scholarship to an acredited college automobile technology program in his name.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/2/21 14:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
A very fine gentleman and a sad loss.
I bought my 1949 Custom 8 sedan from Robert in 1984.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
A loss to Packard enthusiasts and industry historians in general. I read "Master Motor Builders" last summer, and was amazed at the depth of information Mr Neal had accumulated for the book.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 1:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Godspeed, Mr. Neal. This is sad news indeed. I had just started reading his book on the 1951-1954 Packards, and was shocked and saddened to discover in the foreword that he was basically racing against a diagnosis of terminal cancer to try and complete the book. He has truly left behind a great body of work that is a valuable and enduring legacy to all Packard enthusiasts.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
May Mr. Neal's family find some measure of comfort in the knowledge that he brought joy to so many people around the world. His writings will long be treasured.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 11:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved