Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 144

Ozstatman, kevinpackard, 53 Cavalier, Larry Reber, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water pump shaft packing nut for 1929 senior car
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hello everyone,

I was speaking to a water pump restoration shop in Arizona and the guy, who sounded pretty knowledgeable, said he thought somebody was reproducing the big brass water pump shaft packing nut for the center mounted water pump used in the late 20's. Is anybody aware of who might be reproducing that nut? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on water pump restoration shops? Thanks in advance.

John Wogec

Posted on: 2015/2/23 17:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Water pump shaft packing nut for 1929 senior car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Somewhere and recently I've seen something about the brass gland nut, I'll search around and come back here when I find it unless someone else beats me to it.

As to the pump rebuild, of course Gould Rebuilders, and probably Terrill, would do a fine job. But it's such a simple pump most folks just do it themselves. The bearings are still active and common numbers, and the graphite cord shaft packing in either split rings or continuous is common and available from many sources. Why not try it yourself?

Posted on: 2015/2/23 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi Owen,

I am considering the venture. Please let me know about that brass gland nut if you can locate the information. Thanks for responding.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I had some work done on my 35 Cadillac (because compared to a Packard, a cadillac is a pain in the a$$ to work on) and they put 1 of those set rings on to keep the rope in there tight.
I will ask them where they got that.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 19:53
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Owen, I am considering the venture. Please let me know about that brass gland nut if you can locate the information.

I spoke with 2 restoration shops and 1 water pump rebuilder; they both said they were not aware of a reproduction part available and in the uncommon situation that they needed one, they just chuck up some brass hex stock in a lathe and make it.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi Owen,

Thanks for the effort! I know Classic and Exotic makes one for the 12 cylinder cars, but I couldn't find one for the eights. No big deal. I think I have a solution. Thanks again for all your help.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 18:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved