Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

humanpotatohybrid, tuskman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

359 Noisy Lifters on startup?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
What am I doing in a postwar forum?

My good friend Chris Recker just fired up his newly rebuilt 54 - 359. Solid 40 lbs oil pressure, but the lifters are noisy, and upon visual inspection/removal of valve covers, the lifters may not be getting any oil?

Looking for diagnostic suggestions, maybe a schematic of the oil flow?

Help please, thank you. If you don't feel like typing, please call Chris direct at eight one seven, 773 Eighteen Fifty-two.

DAF

Posted on: 2015/2/25 13:13
 Top  Print 

Re: 359 Noisy Lifters on startup?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Oil flow to the lifters is via the pigtail on the drivers side. The pressure port straight off pump is the bottom port and the pigtail feeds that to the port just above which is directly to the lifter gallery. Check the pigtail for any kinks and on the tee make sure it has the same opening on both outlets to the pigtail and the filter. If there is a restriction on one side make sure it is on the oil filter side. Sometimes on a fresh rebuild it takes a considerable time for all the lifters to fill and get quiet. Also assume there was no end plug or the drip valve into timing chain area left off an end of the gallery

Attach file:

jpg  (78.74 KB)
209_54ee14c6eb1ea.jpg 1009X581 px

Posted on: 2015/2/25 13:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
How is the filter plumbed? Perhaps there is no restrictor in the by-pass to the pan.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 0:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Were the vales adjusted? I know that sounds odd for hydraulic lifters but there was a special tool for doing this so that the proper cold non-pressurized gap could be achieved, which was done by either grinding the tip of the valve stem or the seat, depending on whether more or less gap was needed

I have one of these tools which I made decades ago from the specifications that I believe I found in one of the Packard Service Counselors. Since I used to be a journeyman toolmaker, this gauge was ground to high precision but unfortunately I am no longer in the trade so I cannot offer to make you one.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 1:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Update - Chris wound up removing the timing cover/chain, etc. to expose the oil galley plug (opening) behind the cam gear that was removed when the block was dipped/cleaned. The plug had not been reinstalled, oil was being pushed right into the chain area and down back in to the oil pan. Replacing the plug has resolved the lack of oil to the lifters. Engine has been re-started and within seconds quieted right down. Car was driven this week for the first time since 1977.

Another Packard back on the road - thank you to all who responded with helpful suggestions.

DAF (and yes, Chris will be instructed as to how to post on his own...)

Posted on: 2015/3/4 10:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Flackmaster, do not instruct Chris how to post. It is great to see you mingle with the postwar crowd.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 11:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Flackmaster, thanks for the update. It will probably help someone on the next straight eight rebuild.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 18:23
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved