Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
37 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 35

Peter Packard, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 Ultramatic Seal Kit
Just popping in
Just popping in

Blake Longacre
See User information
I need a new seal kit for my ultramatic. Who should I go with and how do I tell if its an external or internal seal?

Posted on: 2015/2/27 0:28
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 Ultramatic Seal Kit
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Probably Kanter for the entire kit. You didnt mention where it is leaking from. Lots of different type of seals/bushings in an Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 12:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
If you're going to yank it to do the seals, rebuild all of it. Get the bands or whatever they are with the new gm materials. Get NEW BUSHINGS AND INSTALL THEM! they control pressure and shifting, etc in the trans. Lastly, replace the clutch disc in the converter.

After doing all that, if your linkage is adjusted properly, you'll have a leak free, well driving trans that will outlive you and the car. You don't want to do just seals to find out a year or so later that your clutch disc is glazing over or the bushings are wearing out.

There are some differences, if i recall, my 50 didn't have the early sand cast valve body, but a bushing was bigger or smaller somewhere and so the machine shop bore something out so the newer bushing style fit. It was an early/late production thing.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 14:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Agreed, If you are going to get into it, do it all.

I carry that kit for $390.

Master Kit = Includes All Gaskets, Seals, O-Rings, Lip Seals, Sealing Rings, Friction Clutches, and Steel Plates.

Michiana Packard is the only one offering the six steel clutch plates in the master kit for this price.

Bands are $110 with a $50 core

We also carry

Overhaul Kit = Includes All Gaskets, Seals, O-Rings, Lip Seals, and Sealing Rings

Major Kit = Includes All Gaskets, Seals, O-Rings, Lip Seals, Sealing Rings, and Friction Clutches

Troy

Posted on: 2015/2/27 20:36
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Absolutely agree! Once the unit is out, do the full job - it's a decision you will not regret. And when finished, be meticulous and precise about the proper setting of the throttle pressure linkage - it's absolutely essential to long transmission life.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 23:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved