Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 95

r1lark, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Repairing cardboard door panels
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Has anyone had any luck repairing the torn area of the door panel cardboard where panel clips slide into. I am planning to change out the panels at a later date but want to do some type of temporary repair for now. My idea is to use contact cement to bridge the torn out areas. Also can someone recommend a supplier for new cardboard panels?

Posted on: 2015/2/27 23:02
 Top  Print 

Re: Repairing cardboard door panels
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Many mail order auto upholstery places sell the water resistant door cardboard as does Restoration Specialties. Here is one of the upholstery suppliers. The problem with any mail order is freight will be a large expense because you will pay oversize rates. You might check with a local upholster and see if he can get some thru his wholesale supplier. Freight might be cheaper that way since the wholesaler will most likely order in bulk as part of his regular resupply.

To fix your existing board it kind of depends on how badly the holes are broken. If a small missing chunk or crack is causing the problem sometimes there is room to turn the clip in a different direction to undamaged material and still be able to insert the spring in the door metal.

If that is not an option then possibly some sheetmetal could be glued onto the accessible side and if needed a smaller piece as a backup worked into the fabric side to maintain thickness. If the existing is just cracked, one thickness might be enough but if there is a large hole then I doubt just a single piece could work because the clip would have nothing to tension against unless the thickness of the board is maintained.

In lieu of cardboard, while it is not water resistant, many have used 1/8" fiber board available from the hardware store as a suitable base material for the panels.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 23:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I used thin velcro to do the job, it will hold on the entire panel and without using the clips at all. This has worked for 2 years on my clipper wit no problems.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 9:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

WILLIS wrote:
I used thin velcro to do the job, it will hold on the entire panel and without using the clips at all. This has worked for 2 years on my clipper wit no problems.

Not a bad idea. File that one away for future reference.

One question I would have with velcro would be on the "cardboard". Some years used a material sort of like masonite while others used something more like a heavy tar paper. I would think that if the masonite like material was dirt and dust free and relatively smooth and unwarped, the velcro adhesive should stick but wonder if it would on the tar paper stuff. Did you need to seal the "cardboard" or have any mechanical fasteners in addition to adhesive?

Posted on: 2015/2/28 10:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I made new door panels and covered them. Used thin masonite and used headliner material for the covering. Can be purchased at Hancock fabrics or other material stores and on line.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 11:26
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Only way to fix existing door panels is with some resin and fiberglass mesh from the backside. The resin should soak in to fiberboard and the mesh should help mend any cracks. Just dont use too much resin as you dont want to soak through to the upholstery side. This also works well on those fiberboard heater pleniums.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 20:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you everyone that has responded to door panel repair, good suggestions. Anyone have any luck cleaning the wool on door panels ?

Posted on: 2015/3/3 21:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Anyone have any luck cleaning the wool on door panels ?

Sure. Try an upholstery cleaner advertised as safe to use on wool, and test on a small section not particularly visible.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 10:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thanks, I think I'll try Woolite to begin with

Posted on: 2015/3/4 10:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved