Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1956 Packard STD trans
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Is this pedal set up right for a STD trans?, seems close, to brake pedal..is brake pad smaller on factory STD.

also , this was a conversion, in the shift quad, that should have the parking brake plate,?,,like push button, to me.

Attach file:

jpg  (98.67 KB)
4498_54f3614f56a5c.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (98.24 KB)
4498_54f3618339382.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2015/3/1 14:01
Riki
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Packard STD trans
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like a conversion to me because of the trans sector indicator. I do believe the red brake or a blank plastic was used on standards. The book shows only one rubber tread called out with 56 power brakes but there are some photos on site of factory power brake with stick cars that appear to have a narrower brake pedal --- almost like the clutch size is used except it is turned sideways. The 55 pedal was narrower so maybe they used a pad something like that.

Posted on: 2015/3/1 14:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
thanks hh,

this is a 56 Patrician ,,someone in PI had STD put in, cause of ultra problems,

my other question is i need title search, but hear after 12 years the state of ca, removes titles, do you know if this is right,?, or does anyone out there know...

i do need to get dup title, cause the person i bought it from can't find pink...last reg..1988..

thanks,

Posted on: 2015/3/1 15:39
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
in the parts book, all i see for STD trans ,, is the jr cars, 5540-60--,,,5640--60

nothing for sr cars. i guess ultra was stock on those,,

but, the u-joint, the cross type,, have not been under car yet to check things out,, but if the cross on rear is a stock part, the book does say spicer, so this might be another option for flange u joint,

this STD is new to me, if its like the stude overdrive, this thing might be a rocket...the stude with 289 with od, would move.

Posted on: 2015/3/1 16:06
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I don't think the brake light lense was used in the selector quad for 55. I think it was just a panel with lines?

So if you had a standard or pushbutton car in 56, would the brake panel be used?

Posted on: 2015/3/1 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
let,

yes for the push button, the brake panel was used. which i like, pull the, e brake, and "BRAKE",,,lights up

Posted on: 2015/3/1 17:11
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Looks like a conversion from a Clipper to me. The clutch pedal goes through the floor to a lever/pivot rod mechanism under the floor to actuate the throw out arm and bearing.

My friend Paul in Las Vegas did his differently, as will I. Check out the later pictures on this page:

http://1956packardpanther.com/PaulExec/PaulPowerBrakes.html

I'm actually currently working on the clutch setup on my Panther. I'll be posting pictures soon. This is a non-trivial conversion to do as a hanging pedal rather than a thru the floor one. In Paul's case, his was pneumatically operated. In my Panther's case it will be hydraulic, but the idea is the same.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/3/1 20:05
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I've only seen a couple of senior conversions, but they both were similar to the photo.

One was in a Caribbean formerly owned by the late Steve Williams. It was supposedly converted by the SFO dealer.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/3/2 11:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hi ,jack,

it would be nice if it was a steve williams, he had the parts to do it.

i hope i can get the name on title, to get this transfer up to date,

thanks

Posted on: 2015/3/2 19:21
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
craig,

nice set up

Posted on: 2015/3/2 19:22
Riki
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved