Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 140

DJP-37-120, Don B, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: under running board antenna
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
good illustration and pictures This will help figure out what i need. I recently got my 1938 coupe back from the upholstery shop and i had gave him the cable to the antennas to install, but when I picked up my car he had lost it so im stuck on making one.

Jeff Casalegno

Posted on: 2018/5/27 13:24
 Top  Print   

Speaking of antennas......
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Garage sales can offer some interesting items....
I found a complete antenna salesman's kit several years ago.
Needless to say....the seller had no idea what it was.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.52 KB)
441_5b0c6473f35a4.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2018/5/28 15:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
I recently got my 1938 coupe back from upholstery shop and the owner lost my harness that attaches to the radio connector out to running board antennas. I am hoping someone here knows of where or who can make the harness. attached is a picture of the connector from the speaker/radio box under firewall.

Jeff Casalegno

Attach file:

jpg  (35.34 KB)
4181_5b0ffc419db2f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2018/5/31 8:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I think Lavine Restorations in Indiana makes the running board antennas. Perhaps they provide the cables as well... ???

Posted on: 2018/5/31 9:00
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is the connector on the end of the antenna wire a metal sleeve approx 3/8" in diameter and has a 1/8" hole at the wire end? If so I believe it is a standard female Motorola plug which is still being made. A standard antenna lead from a cheap universal antenna or even an antenna extension cable could probably be used to plug into the Packard end and replace the missing wire. Standalone male plugs are also available which could be soldered onto a length of coax cable but someone better versed with antenna impedance requirements than I would need to suggest the proper type and length of coax for best reception.

If the Packard part is something different and LaVine can't help then finding a suitable plug may be more difficult as many of the old plugs -- particularly at the antenna side -- are obsolete and hard to come by.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.37 KB)
209_5b1005cfbb408.jpg 1030X444 px

Posted on: 2018/5/31 9:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
I heard it was called a bayonet connector ? The inside dimensions are .330th

Attach file:

jpg  (158.42 KB)
4181_5b101ae7a5853.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/5/31 10:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If LaVine can't help wonder if flackmaster or Kanter might have a cable.

What does the inside of the connector look like? Is there a pin, a hole or a pad and if a pin or hole approx what dimension and how deep or how far down? If no one knows of or has a proper connector, depending on specifics it might be possible to make a piece or adapt a different type modern plug.

Posted on: 2018/5/31 11:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
It has a round pad and the pad is 3/8 " down from connector here is a picture

Attach file:

jpg  (163.70 KB)
4181_5b108ef871f9d.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/5/31 19:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
Pad picture

Attach file:

jpg  (110.36 KB)
4181_5b1090347e1e0.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/5/31 19:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the connector having a pad and no pin or hole inside, it will be very easy to adapt half of a metal fuse holder to provide the male part of the connector if you cannot find a proper cable.

Rhode Island Wiringhttp://www.riwire.com and YnZ Yesterdays partshttp://www.store.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/metal-inline-fuse-holder.html both sell metal fuse holders. Measuring one I bought from YnZ, the side having the prongs to fit into the bayonet is approx .325 OD so should fit into the .330 ID of the Packard receptacle nicely.

Because it is a fuse holder the plastic insulators that come with the holder will not work without some kind of bridge to the pad in the Packard half. A new piece can be fabricated by using 1/4" nylon tubing such as used for ice maker water line or a length of 1/4 nylon rod with a hole drilled for the wire will work nicely. Length would be to fit so the pad soldered on the new wire mates with the pad in the receptacle. A spring to keep good contact might be needed if the Packard end does not have one. If the plastic part that comes with the fuse is not too long you could also wire as normal and use a piece of brass bar to make a length that would sort of mimic a fuse so the two pads could touch.

Make a new antenna lead to length using coax cable. Center conductor soldered to the new pad and outer shield to the fuse holder piece. What I don't have is enough antenna theory to know which type coax cable would work best. It comes in various impedance and capacitance per foot. For best reception it should complement the antenna but for such a short length maybe not that important. If someone versed with antennas would chime in that would be great but if not a length of TV coax from the home center or hardware store might be a good starting point.]

Attach file:

jpg  (46.93 KB)
209_5b109e12e7b52.jpg 1026X442 px

Posted on: 2018/5/31 20:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved