Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 125

kevinpackard, William Grosz, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: under running board antenna
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
I think i might have a fuse receptacle from the old harness i will have to look over weekend, if not i will call Rhode island.

Thank you all for your input, this is a great website for info.

Jeff

Posted on: 2018/6/1 8:34
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
I bought the very first antenna made by Yesterday's Radio and it works beautifully, even though the Packard accessories brochure suggests it is "not as efficient as the cowl mounted" one.

Posted on: 2018/6/1 20:59
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
I found the male connector for the harness there was one on the old wiring harness that I kept. So now I have to solder coaxial to it and make connectors for attaching to antennas. I think in a previous forum I had read he had pictures showing the connection at antennas it looked like there was 2 one for signal and one for ground.

Attach file:

jpg  (265.33 KB)
4181_5b1442e280042.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/6/3 14:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Last photo in post #5 on the first page of this thread has an illustration of the antenna end connection. Shield is grounded and center conductor is connected to the antenna rods via a screw into the bracket holding the rods. The rubber pad the bracket bolts to insulates the rods from the ground side.

Be interesting to know if there will be a difference in reception with type of coax used in that short distance. Most of the TV stuff in the hardware store is 50 or 75 ohm. No idea what value radio antennas used but wonder if buying a universal antenna extension for car radio antennas and cutting the ends off to use that coax would be worth it.

Posted on: 2018/6/3 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
Thanks Howard I just sent my radio man the picture and I did ask him what ohm would be best for reception.

Posted on: 2018/6/3 17:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

PackardBob
See User information
I could not find anything on the Lavine Restorations web page regarding the under running board antennas. Do they have plans to sell them. I also heard at a recent swap meet that someone was going to source an under running board antenna design along with other antennas for 50's and 60's cars from an import company and the cost was going to be less than what Yesterday's Radio was charging. Apparently there is interest in them by Street Rodders and Customisers looking to keep their sleek look. Does anyone know anything about this or who that might be? Thanks.

Posted on: 2018/6/4 23:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information

Posted on: 2018/6/5 0:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

PackardBob
See User information
Joe,
Thanks for the link. Now I am going to bookmark it so I don't lose it.
Bob

Posted on: 2018/6/6 23:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
Just had my rubber installed on running boards from Don Lampen. Now trying to figure out how the rubber washer's with the roll pins are installed and if the antennas go on first or last to the mounting screws. also where the harness from the radio hooks up at the antennas. If anyone has a radio could send a picture of the underneath the running boards so i can determine what order everything goes back on I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help

Jeff

Posted on: 2019/6/21 13:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
Does anyone have a picture of where the radio harness hooks up to the antennas under the running boards. I have tried several connections and nothing but static. Have the ground wire connected to ground, and tried other locations on the other line. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Posted on: 2019/6/25 19:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved