Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

starting 47 super 8
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

john verity
See User information
Hi,I just purchased a solid 47 Super 8 2 door that had been sitting in the California desert for years.

The engine is free, and the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel when I short across the starter terminals.

I have looked and looked on and under the dash for a starter button and can't find anything. How do you engage the starter from the drivers seat.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, after I can determine what condition the car is in.

Also, I would like to buy an owners manual.

Thanks, Johnjverity@hotmail.com, Boise, Idaho

Posted on: 2015/3/1 18:10
 Top  Print 

Re: starting 47 super 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The starter is operated by the accelerator if the car is in stock condition. You should see a black plastic oval shaped object with two wire terminals mounted on the carburetor. That is the starter switch. Pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor will activate it.

If it is the senior 356 engine with Autolite solenoid covering two thirds of the starter motor the starter switch operates a small relay in the solenoid assy to bring in the solenoid. The solenoid both starts the motor turning and also pulls in a linkage so the pinion is placed in mesh with the flywheel. If your solenoid is a large cylinder with a rectangular box on the end that is the mechanical engage type. The two small wire terminals toward top of rectangle are the start switch and ground connections.

The other engines have a small regular looking solenoid and Bendix setup so if the solenoid is coming in to start the motor but no engagement there is something mechanical going on.

Again, if it is the senior engine with large Autolite starter and still stock there may be a sort of safety circuit in the starting switch setup. That can cause issues so something else to look at if you get no action at all from starter switch. The start relay gets power via the starter switch but its ground is brought out to the regulator and continues via the generator armature circuit to find ground thru the generator windings. That circuit prevents the starter from accidentally engaging if the engine is running and generator is producing voltage. Unfortunately, It also prevents the starter from working if the generator or regulator is out or in need of repair or if the relay solenoid circuit is not able to get a ground because of a bad or disconnected wire.

Kanter Auto should have reproduction manuals but until you get one you can download a manual from the literature section on site.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/47Manual.pdf There is a considerable amount of other 46-7 (21st series) service and sales info in the literature section freely available for download.

Posted on: 2015/3/1 18:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day john verity,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '47 Super 8 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/3/1 18:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There are many precautions one must take when attempting to start an engine that has been idle (pardon the pun) for a long period. There is the oiling system, fuel system, electrical system, ignition system, and cooling system. Too much to address with this reply, but recommend you address each before attempting to see if the engine will run. Great harm can be done if each is not addressed, especially with the oiling system. Lots of folks here ready, willing, and most of all able to help. Congratulations, you have one of the best Packards and Packard engines. Let us know how it goes.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/3/1 22:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Congrats on the new car and welcome to the group.

Posted on: 2015/3/1 22:45
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

john verity
See User information
Thanks very much for your informative reply. I now have some things to look into.

The starter switch on the carb has two broken wires. There are several broken wires coming out of the harness. I'm hopeful that fixing these wires will get things turning.

I think I have the senior 356 engine.

I'll let you know how things work out.

John Verity, Boise

Posted on: 2015/3/2 1:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi John

Welcome! Congratulations! You've bought one of the rarest of the Super Clippers, two door club sedans were among the lowest production though actual production numbers are unknown. Estimates are no more than 600 Super/Custom Super club sedans for the complete 21st Series run. Only 4,802 1947 Super Clippers were built, the majority the four door Touring Sedan.

Whatever you do, proceed slowly and carefully, do no harm. There are many knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum so ask any and all question that come up as you proceed. If you would, please start a project blog in that section to document your progress and post your questions. Many follow those blogs and learn much from the experience of others.

Again, welcome aboard, keep us posted on your progress. You've got one desirable Packard there.

Steve

PS: Please join one of the Packard clubs, you'll find not only more help, resources and support but also meet many fine new friends....a major ancillary benefit of old car ownership.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 8:34
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
To the best of my knowledge, under 30 Senior Clipper Club Sedans known

Posted on: 2015/3/2 9:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,
for including your '47 Clipper Eight Touring Sedan in the Registry.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 2:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
As mentioned you need to do alot of prep work before cranking off. Get a parts list or access on this site.
If some wiring is bad, it probably is a real issue, don't want to burn it to the ground prematurely. Fuel vapors and sparks don't get along. I'd disconnect everything that I didn't need to start the engine, ring out those you do and rewire the bad ones in engine bay before starting. The old cloth insulation will "toast" and fall off leaving bare wires.
If you jumped the starter selenoid correctly (observed pos. ground polarity) and it spun but did not engage the flywheel, the "bendix" is either stuck or broke. If it ran backward, it's not jumped right or winding issues. Need to pull and bench the starter to check. The carb starter circuit only impacts the key ignition - makes wire hot to the selenoid. It is an open circuit past the carb contacts, no impact. It's not making anything hot on that side in reverse either and likely not to pass current through it the way they work.
ps: Sitting in the desert most all the seals will be toast. Check and clean fuel system for dirt/old gas residue and rebuild the carb & fuel pump. No gain starting as is and plugging up worse or it won't run leading to false conclusions. I recently got a carb from the desert and it was full of dust and gaskets were toast.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 10:07
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved