Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

oil filter cannister bolt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I have an original equipment oil filter on my 2106. How does one separate the top bolt from the cover? I would like to put a copper and fiber washer under the bolt. I've been using a rubber hose washer stretched over the bolt with limited success.
Thanks.
Mark

Posted on: 2015/3/3 13:33
 Top  Print   

Re: oil filter cannister bolt
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Cant help you on that. On mine the cover and top "bolt" are a single piece I believe.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 13:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The Fram unit on my 2106 had separate bolt and lid. Seems yours is the same if there is a gasket under the bolt head. Should come apart with a little persuading, but do it carefully.

(o{}o)

The unit may have been a Purolator not a Fram.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 18:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Mark,
I have the same issue on my Packard, the bolt seems to be wedged in the top and not removable. Would like to know what you end up doing.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 21:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Sorry, forgot to take pictures before I sent the lid the machine shop.
Anyway, look under the lid and you will see a spring and a bell shaped piece. The bolt has an internal thread, and is peened to hold the spring and bell shaped piece in place. You need to grind the peened spots on the bolt and it will come apart. A dremel has been suggested.
A copper washer should do the trick.
I doubt any of this applies to aftermarket canisters.
Mark

Posted on: 2015/3/4 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thanks Mark, My canister seems to be very touchy between sealing and leaking, kind of un-nerving when you are driving down the road and wondering if it is still sealing. I'm hoping if I added a fiber washer under the brass if that would improve the sealing.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 17:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Corsaseven,
Something a bit more squishy than a copper gasket sounds like a good idea. When I get mine back from the machine shop I might try an o-ring or rubber washer underneath the copper washer. I think the downside to a fiber washer is that to replace it, you would have to disassemble the lid. Something softer could just be stretched over the bolt and washer...we'll see..
Mark

Posted on: 2015/3/5 0:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Personally I'd stay with a soft copper washer and while it's apart I'd check the mating surfaces of the lid and the underside of the bolt for irregularities. Copper was chosen for a reason (most rubbers will swell and soften over time when in contact with hot oil and will probably only be a temporary fix) and if it leaks I'd look for the reason and fix it.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 8:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perhaps the machinist could do something similar to a filter from a V8. I believe the one I examined is stock but not 100 percent sure. The spring is conical with the bottom having a large captured washer that fits over the center pipe to hold the filter down. The top few turns of the spring is almost the diameter of the bolt. It is tightly wound or threaded onto the bolt almost to the lid which holds the assy in the lid -- still able to turn -- but by "unthreading" the spring, the bolt is able to be removed. Something like that and you could change the washer if needed.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 9:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I replaced the copper washer with a nylon oil drain plug washer. I snugged it very slightly and it sealed perfectly. Does anyone know if the nylon will hold up under the heat. The surfaces have been checked and cleaned, I'm just not happy with how sensitive the copper washer is and so prone to leak. I have spoken with a few local car people and they decided to bypass the oil filter claiming that they are not very efficient anyway. I change my oil at least 3 times a year and that is probably less than. 1000 miles driven yearly.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 5:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved