Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Packard Radios
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Does anyone know what the max watt speaker out is on typical Packard radio? (3 watts, 5 watts, 10 watts, etc). I know they are pretty low wattage compared to what radio put out now.

Also what the specs are on embedded speakers? (watts, ohm rating, etc?)

I am working on a project that may be of interest a lot of people, but I just need to do some basic research right now.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 16:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Radios
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't find any published specs on wattage but here are typical specs for a 52's final audio output components . All the 22nd series and on speakers look to be around 4 ohm. Some of the earlier are closer to 3 ohm.

I'd be surprised if any of the radios would go much over 10 watt -- although they can get awfully loud, don't think any will shake the ground or vibrate a window as they pass by.

If there is an old speaker catalog or database somewhere that can cross those Jensen or Quam part numbers it might give a wattage.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.34 KB)
209_54f788b2cd2fa.jpg 734X373 px

Posted on: 2015/3/4 17:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
If the radio uses a pair of 6V6 tubes as the radio in my 54, I would expect about 15 Watts Max.

The Philco made radios use a Loctal type tubes (two in puish-pull for audio final) and I would expect the same audio power.

Most of these radios used a 4 ohm speaker.

Any of these 4, 8, 16 ohm speakers would work.

Keep in mind that the auto radios with a single transistor in the audio output use odd impeadance speakers like 40 ohm. These came along in the late 50's - early 60's. These were only used in 12 volt cars.

Jim

Posted on: 2015/3/4 19:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
If you go to a search engine & look up Sams Photofact, you can get info on any radio. Unfortunately you may have to buy the info. There may be free info also. Public libraries sometimes have them.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 19:16
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Perfect. Those values appear to be in range of the project I am working on. If it works out, I may have an relatively inexpensive ratio repair option compared to the $300+ ones out there and it should work with most Packard radios (6 or 12v). More to come later after I get the parts together to build a prototype.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 21:39
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Kev,
Will the signal seeking part work too?

Posted on: 2015/3/4 21:56
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes... in theory. All theory until I can get a prototype built and check all the pot and tuner ohm range from the exiting radio controls. But the microcontroller board i am using should have enough capabilty to handle that as well. Just need to wire the analog pot and tuner outputs into the analog ADC inputs on the controller board, then I can write the code for the epprom to map all that to control the FM Tuner and Amp circuits.

I have a 54 standard radio on my bench, which will be my initial guinea pig. If it all works then I will move it over to my deluxe radio with the signal seek function.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 22:12
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Looks like it will have more than AM. In addition to FM will you incorporate MP3/iPhone, and Satellite? Eagerly awaiting your progress reports.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/3/5 11:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Based on the specs provided above, 10 watts is a great target.

Watts = (Volts * Volts) / Resistance

= (6*6)/4
= 36/4
= 9 watts ~ 10 watts

Rich

Posted on: 2015/3/5 11:34
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Interestingly enough, the FM is actual easier than the AM. But having a minijack input, which can be attached an IPOD, or any other audio device that has a headphone jack would be easy. Also bluetooth so you could stream directly to it.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 11:53
-BigKev

Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved