Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

kevinpackard, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

General Trend for Parts Vendors (NOT MMY specific).
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
General Trend for Parts Vendors (NOT MMY specific).

I've noticed on eBay as well as Amazon that many vendors are advertising parts shipped from a variety of locationns not equal to the vendors actual location.

Recently i bought some non-Packard related rod bearings that were shipped in two different boxes from 2 different eastern locations while the vendor was located at in Cali.

Is this a new trend for the wonderful world of auto parts or have i just been fast asleep for the last decade or longer????

Posted on: 2015/3/6 11:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Re: General Trend for Parts Vendors (NOT MMY specific).
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is this a new trend for the wonderful world of auto parts or have i just been fast asleep for the last decade or longer????

You've been asleep! Even on parts shipped by the original manufacturer many have multiple warehouses around the world.

Posted on: 2015/3/6 11:40
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also many vendors are distibutors or brokers for the parts. They don't physically inventory every part. You order it, they order it from the manufacturer and have it shipped directly to you.

Posted on: 2015/3/6 13:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes. But i am also experienceing (eBay y Amazon) vendors that ship maybe 3 rod bearings from one place and one rod bearing from another place. ALL the SAME rod bearing made by the same mfg'er in identicle parts boxes shipped in different shipping boxes. Various other odd circumstamces too.

Vendors that sell parts under an unfamiliaarr aftermarket name but is stocked by yet some other "mom & pop warehouse/supplier. Actual parts that show up very well mite be well known naame brand parts or maaybe not.

I don't have a problem with it. Just trying to figure out the network strategy.

Some "obsolete" parts showing up with very recent mfg'er dates on them. Some no dates. It's quite a mixxed bag. Makes me wonder if maybe some of the more name brand mfg'ers attempting to supply the vintage market more than what was seen over the 1980-2005 time frame.

Posted on: 2015/3/6 14:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Not a plug for myself and I cant speak for others but in my venture, as Big Kev points out, many Rep the product.

I have picked up many product lines and due to the diversity, I can not at this point afford to stock a lot. I.e. I cant stock all the various piston oversize's for multiple engines and expect to break even However, I can have the product in house from the OEM in 2 days.

I personally ship complete and will not accept broken shipments, If there is not enough stock, I wait for a production run to obtain a set.

for larger mechanical and body parts, I have partnered with several yards across the states and I can pull a product in no time, but obviously, I cant bring on site stock of bumpers and windshields etc.

It is the new Norm.

Posted on: 2015/3/6 18:14
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
This has become common practice in many different industries. Is has grown because of competition and customers expectations. Many companies wanted to expand their inventory without physically carrying it and one ways of doing that is by drop shipping an item directly from the manufacturer. This in turn will get a product to the customer faster, especially if the vendor is on the west coast and the manufacturer is in the Midwest and the customer is on the east coast. So in the end it works out for all parties involved meaning the customer gets his or hers product sooner. Forecasting stock is one the hardest things for any to do company. I would say that it is about 85% science/statics and the rest is a crap shoot. So sometimes the only thing a vendor can do is drop ship an item that is not particularly a fast mover to the customer. Shelf space is an expensive real estate for any company and in turn they will use it for fast moving products. But in the antique automotive hobby you are dealing many parts that have not been produce in a number of years. So in that aspect you may see less drop shipping, but more extensive inventories as some of the parts that these vendors carry have sat on their shelf for 40 plus years until their popularity comes about. Unless it's a very popular type of vehicle were the demand has been so high that the need for reproduction parts has reach a peak then a vendor may takes it upon themselves to reproduce certain parts.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2015/3/9 10:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Here is something I have a bit of knowledge about, not car parts, but computer parts. UPS started it with its SCS Supply Chain Solutions. I was co owner in a company here in Cali that was part of UPS and later other Logistical companies.

We stocked parts for HP, Dell, Cisco and a whole host of others. The big computer companies make (or have made) the replacement parts and then turn them over with instructions on where to distribute (East coast, West, South etc) to Logistic Companies like UPS, Flash Global, DHL etc.
We would warehouse the parts until they we were order when and how to ship the part (Computers parts are 24/7/365 business, Walmart can not survive without their computers). This way the big companies HP, Dell, Cisco does not have to warehouse parts a cost savings to them. They do not have to man a warehouse and ship small parts. They only deal in Truck and Rail car loads.

We were a Field Logistical Support (FLS) to UPS - SCS.
Amazon and others use Order Fulfillment Centers, similar to what we did. If the center runs out of parts they contact the other center to fulfill the order. We often sent parts on aircraft to the east coast because they ran out of a part(s).

Hope this explains it better

Posted on: 2015/3/9 11:49
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
We would warehouse the parts until they we were order when and how to ship the part (Computers parts are 24/7/365 business, Walmart can not survive without their computers). This way the big companies HP, Dell, Cisco does not have to warehouse parts a cost savings to them. They do not have to man a warehouse and ship small parts. They only deal in Truck and Rail car loads.

And not only computer parts. Medical too. By the time I retired, the company I worked for was heavily dependent on the logistics as was described above. In our case, parts were allotted and stocked where concentrations of a particular model were in place so parts were more likely to be available within a few hours time -- sometimes overnight or next flight out but more often driven to a site by courier delivery. Another criteria was a warehouse was tried to be located at one of the major shipping hubs. All too frequently though we were likely to get parts delivered from a warehouse far far away because no matter how hard you try, it is impossible to predict how many of what part will break down. You can stock ten items close by but the 11th has to come from somewhere else.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 12:06
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
The norm for the local parts house. May or may not have the part but "Can have it in hand by noon" from the local supplier.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 13:38
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
As to local parts houses and hardware stores, I'll always try them first and if they have it in stock, I'll pay their price to help keep them in business. However, if they say, "We can order it." my answer is, "So can I."

As to warehouses, our pet peeve is when we order parts and get hit with three shipping charges because the parts are coming from three warehouses. We always buck it back to the sales desk with, "That's your problem. One order, one shipping charge."

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/3/9 17:46
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved