Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Pulling engine and transmission together???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
The radiator support does unbolt as one piece but is not easy to remove without taking the front clip off. You can see in the picture alot of sheet metal screws and a couple bolts. It's around 10-12 fasteners.
The hoop is spot welded to the uprights on each side in the crease underside. You can see then in the picture. I assume he just completely drilled them out. You can use a spot weld cutter then weld back as well. It'll be closer to original that way than bolts. If you weld on car just be sure to cover everything to protect the paint, chrome, etc.
ps:Site needs to organize some of this info, because I went thru the same discussion last year and this info should be all in one spot "pulling engines" to not reinvent the wheel each time.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 11:11
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

50 2382
See User information
Agreed

Posted on: 2015/10/9 15:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Yes...I drilled out the two spot welds on each side of the support and I simply used automotive flange self tapping bolts to reinstall it. I had to R&R that sucker 6 times because I had to R&R the fan and radiator a couple of times so I was glad I did not weld it back in. It does not appear to be a structural component...it just is there as a provision to bolt the forward radiator cover to.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 16:40
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved