Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

53 clipper 3 speed tranny
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
HellO I'm New To This. I'm In The Middle Of Restoring My Clipper And Had ItRunning For The First Time Since Getting Everything Back Together. The Problem I'M Having Is While It's Running I Can't Shift Into Any Gears But Can Shift All Gears When The Car Is Off. It's A New Clutch And It's All Adjusted Right. Could Someone PLease Help I'm Not Sure What To Look For It Just Grinds Trying To Put It In Any Gear. Is It Possible I Could Have Put Clutch In The Wrong Way? Any Help Would Be Great Thanks

Posted on: 2015/3/23 16:52
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 clipper 3 speed tranny
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Almost with certainty the problem is with the clutch. How did you determine that it was adjusted "correctly"?

Posted on: 2015/3/23 17:16
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
Well I'm Just Going Off Of What The Book Says Around 1 1/2 In Free Play That's What I Have. I Have Also Pulled The Drip Pan Off And Watched The Clutch Move In And Out But Like I Said I'm Lost Here With What To Do or TryOr

Posted on: 2015/3/23 17:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Chances are while you were putting the car together the clutch sat long enough that it has just adhered to the flywheel. Since you already have the lower cover off, cut yourself a block of wood to hold the pedal down whilst you are underneath. Take a thin putty knife or something similar and work it between the clutch plate and the flywheel and the pressure plate. With the pedal down and the clutch adjusted properly there should be a discernable gap on each side of the clutch disc and with the tranny in neutral you should be able to turn the clutch disc with your finger.

Posted on: 2015/3/23 18:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe it will go in backward because I don't think the springs and steel hub that extend on one side of the clutch plate will fit on the flywheel side. When you move the linkage can you see the pressure plate actually moving to the rear slightly?

You didn't mention how long ago the new clutch plate was installed but if it has sat for awhile one condition several have experienced in damp weather is the clutch plate actually sticking to the flywheel or pressure plate. You might verify that with someone depressing the clutch pedal you can slide a very thin strip of metal up between the clutch and flywheel and clutch and pressure plate. A steel 12" ruler or a putty knife works well. If the pressure plate doesn't release enough to allow this, that is a linkage or adjust problem. If you can slide the rule up then try to free the plate.

If the plate is free and still issues one other remote but still a possibility is the clutch is stuck to the input shaft splines and riding hard against one of the driving plates or something has happened to the pilot bearing and the input shaft is spinning because of that not being free to rotate.

Posted on: 2015/3/23 18:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
Ok Thanks the Clutch Is Free From The FlyWheel With Under A Quarter Inch Gap It's Not Stuck To That... I Put It In Around January When I Put The Motor And Tranny Back In All Together. Also The Clutch Disc Is Not Spinning Like You Said It Should

Posted on: 2015/3/23 18:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That sounds like a large enough gap -- maybe a bit over what I've seen on others. Does the clutch plate slide freely on the splines so you can move the gap to the rear pressure plate side?

Posted on: 2015/3/23 19:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
Ok I Just Went Out And Put A Putty Knife Between Both Side Of Flywheel And Pressure Plate Could Only Get Disc To Spin Less Then A Quarter Inch More Less It's Not Wanting To Spin With My fingers So I Think It's Stuck

Posted on: 2015/3/23 19:11
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
When I Push The Pedal Down The Clutch Pulls Away From The Flywheel With Nice Gap But Is Snug Against The Pressure Plate But Can Force A Putty Knife Between The Clutch Disc And Pressure Plate With Minimal Effort But Can't Spin Clutch

Posted on: 2015/3/23 19:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds as if it is stuck to the pressure plate somewhere for the clutch to be moving when you move the pedal. If it were not stuck then logically the disc would stay fairly close to the flywheel and not pull back with the pressure plate. I would rotate the engine slightly so you can insert and work the putty knife in more than one spot.

Posted on: 2015/3/23 19:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved