Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 53 clipper 3 speed tranny
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
I Spun The Engine By Hand Just One Revolution And Done That Already Probably Not Enough Id Say But Can Do It More If Need Be. Is There Anything Else I Can Do To Free It.Wd 40? Or Could I Possibly Start The Car With It In Gear And Try To Free It? Please Tell Me I Won't Have To Pull The Transmission Back Out.... Also When I Put It Back Together The Bearings Were All Free And In Good Working Order But I Did Not Grease The Splines The Clutch Is On Is That Ok?

Posted on: 2015/3/23 19:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Definitely do not use any WD40 or use any kind of lubricant that can get on the clutch disc now. Doubtful you would be able to get it all off and will experience various clutch chatter and grab problems.

The splines normally would have a very light film of lubriplate or grease -- just a tiny amount smeared or rubbed on the splines when the plate is first installed on the input shaft. Slide the disc back and forth to make sure it is free. It it feels rough or sticks it might even take a bit of emery cloth on the surface or a finishing stone down in the grooves. Be careful not to use so much grease it gets thrown off as it rotates. Use a rag to remove any that accumulates as you slide the disc. A little late for that procedure now though.

Sometimes having the car in gear and clutch depressed while you engage the starter will free it but it is a load on the starter and ring gear. Others have had some luck by pushing and rocking the car while it is in gear and someone is holding the clutch down. If neither of those frees it and you are sure everything was spinning freely then I don't have any other suggestions other than what you don't want to hear. The fact you can't push the disc toward the flywheel is somewhat disturbing. As mentioned, I don't think it is possible to put it on backwards but I have been wrong before.

Posted on: 2015/3/23 20:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
Thank You For All Your Help Was Much Needed And Greatly Appreciated.I Will Mess With It Next Couple Days And See If I Can Get It To Free Up Will Post My Findings Later Thanks Again

Posted on: 2015/3/23 20:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day 53 Packard,
to PackardInfo and plenty of good advice there.

But, once you've found the solution to the problem, I invite you to include your '53 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 5:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
Ok So I Got TheTranny Out Last Night... the clutch Was gummy on The splines But Wasn't Horrible. And I Could Also Now Free Spin The Clutch Away FromThePressure Plate.PilotBearing Is Good So I'm Not Sure What The Deal Wa Or Is With My Original Problem. I Can SayThat The ThrowOut Bearing Is A Little Gummy Feeling WhenYou Spin It But Other Wise I Believe Is Fine And Also I Did Change Gear Oil In It With 80 90 Weight Is That Going To Cause Any Problems?

Posted on: 2015/3/26 13:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Before starting reassembly hold the clutch plate to flywheel and verify it is flush -- lining touching metal -- all around to ensure that nothing is pushing it back toward pressure plate. Some clutches may have a tiny bit of wave to sort of cushion things but if so, it will only be very slight and should be even all the way around. Anything that leaves a large gap needs to be investigated. When you install the pressure plate make sure plate goes back in the same orientation that was flat to flywheel. One thing that has damaged clutches is if the input shaft was in the clutch plate hub and the transmission rear was allowed to sag or drop during installation. That can bend the connection between the hub and plate so verify something like that hasn't happened. If the plate is not perpendicular to the hub that can cause a severe bind and failure to release.

After that I would do the shaft lube and make sure there are no burrs on the shaft or splines that could catch and keep the plate from moving. If the throwout bearing is somewhat sticky that is not terrible but rough or noisy is.

Verify the levers on the side of trans have good solid detents and there is no slop from a loose detent block. Make sure the interlock is in good condition. If both levers are in neutral position then either can move but as soon as one lever is out of neutral position the other is prevented from moving.

If all that checks out then it is a matter of putting things back together and things should be well.

It probably wouldn't hurt to verify the linkage is adjusted correctly. There is a procedure in SM where you disconnect rods at transmission and pin the two levers at bottom of column together using a pin thru some predrilled holes. That ensures the operator levers are in the neutral position. With the trans levers also in neutral you make sure the rods can enter the respective holes in the levers. If one won't then there should be a threaded clevis or turnbuckle to lengthen or shorten that particular rod so it can enter the hole without a bind or any movement of lever.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 15:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
Ok Thanks For The Info I Will Work On It This Weekend And See What I Come Up With Will Post Again When I Verify Everything You Mentioned Is In Good Order

Posted on: 2015/3/26 20:38
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
Still Working On The Tranny Problem But While I'm Thinking About It What Kind Of Engine Oil Works Best In That Old Engine. Weight Brand Etc. As Far As I Know Nothing Has Been Done Major To It And I've Got Just Straight 30 In It Now Is That Ok For Summer?

Posted on: 2015/3/28 9:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Straight 30 should work. Packard recommended 20 or 30 in summer but that was on a new engine. Today it depends on how much wear there might be. On which brand and type is a question you may get different opinions on but many have suggested Shell Rotella T SAE15-40 as one of the recommended oils.

If you do not know the history of the car or if it has been sitting a long time, IMO it would be best to avoid high detergent oils. Those are likely to release a lot of sludge into the oil system to the point it could cause problems. It would also be to your benefit to drop the oil pan and clean it and the oil pickup screen and just have a look at the general condition of the lower engine. Several have found a buildup of sludge in the oil sump that had all but covered the screen to the point the pump could barely pick up oil to circulate.

Posted on: 2015/3/28 9:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53 Packard
See User information
I've Already Had entire Engine Apart And Went Thru It Clean As A Whistle It's Running Almost 40 Psi Oil Pressure. The Pan Had 4 Inches Of Sludge In Bottom Of Oil Pan Everything Has Been Cleaned And Gone Threw Running Like New Engine So You Think I'd Be Ok Running 15-40 I Just Don't Want To Mess Any Thing Up As Far As I Know It's All Original

Posted on: 2015/3/28 10:12
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved