Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

kevinpackard, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1946 Packard 6
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Hello, first time poster. Thinking about buying a 1946 Packard 6 cylinder 4 dr sedan. Says it ran 5 years ago till the coil went bad. No show car for sure. Suppose to have 66,000 miles on it.
How do these Packard do with the 6 cylinder? Seems like a 3500 lb car with only 105 hp might be wanting? I figured the engine should make more. Checked the Chilton, figure maybe they were trading hp for more low end torque. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Lists for 192 lb/ft @ 2000 rpm.
What sort of parts availability is there for these engines and cars? I'd like to hope maybe since the engine is free turning, maybe a carb rebuild and a tune up might get it to run. Is there a method to spin these engines before starting to oil it up?
thanks John

Posted on: 2015/3/24 17:51
 Top  Print 

Re: 1946 Packard 6
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For the roads and driving habits of the day the 6 did just fine, adequate power but not much more, and exercising reasonable care they are still very driveable today but that said, you can't drive it like a new BMW.

NOS or reproduction engine parts cover just about every conceivable need except for basic castings like cylinder heads and the like. Most mechanical parts plentiful new or repro or used, body and trim parts less so.

To pre-oil, just disconnect the coil and crank on the starter motor until the oil pressure gauge shows movement.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 18:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
John,

Engine parts and car parts are readily available as well as car rebuilding and restoration if you choose that route.

Let us know if you get it, you will find lots of knowledge to help you on your journey here.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 18:16
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day John(ptv),
to PackardInfo. And, when or if you buy the '46 Clipper Six Sedan or any other Packard, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 5:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks Owen, I didn't know if they could be oiled up like the old Chevy 6 by pulling the distributor and using a drill to rotate the oil pump or not.

John

Posted on: 2015/3/25 7:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, the difference lies in whether the oil pump is driven by the cam and in turn drives the distributor, or visa versa. In your case the camshaft drives the oil pump which in turn drives the distributor. Thus you can't use a drill to spin the oil pump.

Another alternative to pre-oiling is to attach a small reservoir of oil to the main galley inlet and then pump or use compressed air to flood the engine with oil.

One thing I would strongly recommend before starting an engine which has an unknown history and long storage is to drop and clean the oil pump and especially the oil pump suction inlet screen.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 8:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Not sure if this fits in this topic, but pertains to the same car. Has anyone trailered one of these behind a full size 1/2 ton Chevy truck? I was thinking along the lines of renting a U-Haul car trailer, which has built in braking on it. The truck already has a receiver hitch already on it. Figuring the car weighs around 3500 lbs.
John

Posted on: 2015/3/25 8:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can't speak directly to the question but IIRC UHaul has been mentioned by several posters here as having some serious restrictions and refused to rent to several with plans similar to yours. I believe it has something to do with they don't show Packard in their list of vehicles or maybe don't have enough info on all the models. I remember one poster saying he had to tell them he was going to move a different car. Hopefully one of those posters will see your question and answer directly.

EDIT: Here are the official size and weight specs for the 2100 series 6 cyl

Attach file:

jpg  (48.75 KB)
209_5512d4f1b8af3.jpg 1129X506 px

Posted on: 2015/3/25 9:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 1947 Packard 6
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I do need to make a correction here, the car is a 1947 4dr sedan 6 cylinder......

John

Posted on: 2015/3/25 11:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I don't think Uhaul will rent you a trailer, the Packard is too big for their trailers.

How far from home is it? It might be better and safer to flat tow it on a tow bar. If the tires are bad, have a towing company bring it home on a Tilt-n-load.

If we are talking a couple of miles on surface streets, you could do the job with a friend, a chain, and a piece of pipe to put the chain through.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 12:16
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved