Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 99

Ross, 29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Is it possible to convert a 1949 car to power steering?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Is it possible to convert a 1949 car to power steering? This car is my dad's car and he has complained that the steering effort is too great.

I recently talked to a Packard guy and he explained that in 1952 Packard added power steering and with that being said is it possible to adapt the components from a 1952 donor car to the 1949?

Since the engine and transmission are out it's easy to get access to the steering gear so if the splines of the 1952 steering gear will mate with the steering shaft...and...the bolt pattern of the steering gear match then that would be a helpful start.

Since the engine is out I would have to adapt the donor car's power steering pump and brackets.

I understand that the power steering is a Bendix type externally mounted device that attaches to the center link.

IF...this is all possible does anyone have any prior experience with this modification?

Any suggestions on where to find the donor components???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/3/25 17:28
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: Is it possible to convert a 1949 car to power steering?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't give details but that addition of later power steering th 22/23 series cars has been done fairly often. I'm told it's very straightforward though you don't get the benefit of a faster gear ratio in the box that the donor car would have had.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 17:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't see why it couldn't be done. The steering geometry is similar enough although I'm not sure there wouldn't need to be some possible changes in the lengths of tie rods.

If I were going to contemplate the conversion I think I would elect to use the 55-56 Monroe single piece setup instead of the Bendix system. Have a look at the 55-6 parts manual plates section (the plates only are also here in the photo section) and compare plates 31 C and D which show the two systems. If the Pitman arm will fit the earlier box you may not even have to swap boxes. The ratio is slightly different between manual and power but not by much. Several have added PS to 51-6 models using the linkage setups only and keeping the original box and column.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 18:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You may not need power steering, it was not invented in 1949 and many older ladies and gentlemen had no trouble driving 49 Packards when new.

First thing would be to get the front end checked, worn parts replaced, and an alignment done.

Pump up the tires to 32 PSI. If you have radials, consider getting bias plies, they steer easier.

I know people who have done these simple things and it took away all desire for power steering.

The only time your car will steer hard, is when at a complete stop. This can be avoided by having the car moving, even very slowly, while turning the wheel. Careful parking will make this easy, almost every time. You just need to leave a little space.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 20:36
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jeff P-MN
See User information
I agree with Rusty O'Tool....also, when I switched to Diamondback radials on my 2293 I was able to steer with ONE finger. Very smooth and easy to drive with those tires.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 20:20
1913 Ford Runabout
1926 Ford T Touring
1948 Chrysler NY’er Highlander
1948 Packard Station Sedan regrettably sold in 2019
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
As a loooong time Packard owner, I take the power steering out of cars that come to stay at my house. The next red puddle is always just around the corner with those things--not to mention the clutter in the engine compartment and under the car when servicing. Even contemporary road testers mentioned they thought it not necessary. It will be cheaper and easier to bring the front end up to standard condition.

I have Diamondbacks also, and my 51 steers light as a feather. As mentioned, when parallel parking the car needs to be rolling as you steer, but who frequently parallel parks anymore?

Posted on: 2015/3/28 7:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Check the tire size. Frequently Packards are fitted with oversized tires which makes them steer like tanks.

Posted on: 2015/3/28 14:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
HH56,

Thank you for the information.

I looked around for the plates you mentioned however I am having trouble finding the documents you listed.

Can you PLEASE send a link?

Posted on: 2015/3/28 21:39
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The individual Bendix plate is missing from the photo archive but is in the plate section of parts manual. Here are both 55-6 plates. Threw in the 53-4 Bendix for comparison although that illustration is not as detailed. You can download the entire 48-54 parts plate sectionhttp://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist4854/48-54_Plates.pdf if you want the complete info. Basic linkage part of system was about the same as the 55-6 but pump was somewhat larger in physical size.

If you decide to go with the Monroe try and get a complete system out of the same car if you can. Pumps are the same for Monroe and Bendix but there was an extra orifice piece in the Monroe pump to increase the pressure over that the Bendix required.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.80 KB)
209_55176b235390b.jpg 800X658 px

jpg  (71.87 KB)
209_55176b2c768f2.jpg 852X646 px

jpg  (35.00 KB)
209_55176b37848ee.jpg 528X680 px

Posted on: 2015/3/28 22:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Another thing to check is the ride height. If the springs are sagging and collapsed steering effort will increase due to the wheel effort being used to raise the car through the king pin inclination. Before the 24th series Packard used springs that initially rode well but didn't hold up well and sagged a lot. With the 24th series the ride was firmer and the springs held up much better.

Posted on: 2015/3/29 12:10
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved