Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard 6 engine?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I've read through some earlier posts on this engine (245 c.i.). Some asking about increasing the power ect....
I see in late 1946 or so that it was redesigned with bigger mains, better rods, and it even mentions increasing the valve sizes a bit. Compression was increased some.
Yet there appeared to be no increase in power shown. It was still 105 hp. Even when they increased it from a 237 c.i. in 1937 to a 245 in 1938, it was still shown as 100hp for both engines....
Has there been any 'simple" things anyone has done to their 6 that made a noticeable difference? How much could one plane the cast iron head on these engines? Could I up it say 7.5 to 1? Would there be valve clearance enough? Three way valve seat job and maybe back cutting the angle on the underside of the valves? possible adapting a 2 brl carb on the intake? Studebaker had a 245 engine and managed 118 hp from it, K and F had a 226 and managed 118 hp from it. Seems to me there should be 120 hp to squeeze from this engine without getting to radical?

John

Posted on: 2015/3/28 10:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard 6 engine?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
All these flatheads, no matter the number of cylinders, benefit from some nice port and manifold cleaning with a die grinder. I am not a fan of a lot of relieving work as it ends up dropping the compression, but do like to round off the the edge of the pocket that is formed by Packard's use of inclined valves.

Don't be in a big rush to get a lot of compression by milling. What you will get is lot of harshness and diminished volumetric efficiency as you reduce the flow that goes over the tops of the valves.

Lately I have been giving a lot of care to smoothing the combustion chamber in the head--not removing much in the way of material but just removing the casting roughness. My thought is that this reduces the surface area. The more heat that stays in the chamber is there to help push the piston down and not being rejected to the radiator. Not to mention the diminished chance of preignition. My newly built 288 for my 54 runs cool as a cucumber.

You will find that your Clipper is not all that slow and will be light on its feet in a way that Super Clipper owners could only dream of. The smoothness and flexibility of that engine is quite pleasing and is not something you will want to compromise to get to 60mph 2 seconds faster.

I have a 50 Stude Commander with the 245 and overdrive. We are talking very similar weight and power. It is never embarrassed in normal traffic and has to be watched to stay under 75 on the 4 lane. With overdrive, your Clipper will do the same.

Posted on: 2015/3/28 19:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I was wondering, this really is a question for all Packard engines. Does the alcohol in the gas anymore cause vapor lock problems on these engines? Has anyone had trouble with corrosion problems?
John

Posted on: 2015/3/28 21:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
The Super Clipper, that would be the 282 straight 8?

John

Posted on: 2015/3/28 21:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Super Clippers had the rock crushing 356. Smooth, powerful, and heavy.

Posted on: 2015/3/28 21:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
Super Clippers had the rock crushing 356. Smooth, powerful, and heavy.

and more expensive to rebuild compared to the smaller 8s

Posted on: 2015/3/28 21:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved