Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Darrin convertible sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
What a mess!!
Can I assume that this is someone's idea of a reproduction?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131471815652?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Posted on: 2015/3/31 12:04
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 Darrin convertible sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, we've been chatting a just a bit about it already; see the end of the "Various CL Pickings" thread for those comments. If nothing else, for a "recent restoration" that's the worst fitting convertible top I've ever seen.

Dave

Posted on: 2015/3/31 12:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The rear door and B pillar are not even close, either. The word I heard was that the windshield frame and possibly the front doors are authentic.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 9:02
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Back in the 70's there was an operation here in the northwest recreating their version of the "Darrin".

The car was, in my opinion a pos, It was not a 20 footer as even at that distance it was obviously not real.

A number of them were sold and this is possibly one of them.

This is just my opinion, Buyer Beware.

John

Posted on: 2015/4/1 10:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

The photos tell the story, first the real, second the ersatz. The latter looks like an unfortunate Darrin with poorly-repaired collision damage.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (22.70 KB)
409_551c221f35663.jpg 640X337 px

jpg  (19.20 KB)
409_551c222d176a2.jpg 640X338 px

Posted on: 2015/4/1 11:52
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd look forward to some comments about the correctness of the rear door quarter window. I see it is present in the Bill Hirsch car which is of unquestioned authenticity, and also present in the questionable car, but not present in the silver/gray one just pictured by 58L8134. Chrysler of that era or just before offered a vent window which retracted simultaneously with the main door glass but I can't recall that this was a feature of the 4-door Darrin convertibles or for that matter any Packard.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 12:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is it my imagination or are those different rear fender contours. To my eye the real item looks to be more tapered toward the tail light but maybe that is just the color difference or photo angle.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 12:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Owen

I just picked that photo of the real one from on-line images, selected it as its approximately the same angle. Looks as if the windows are all rolled down. But I imagine the rear door quarter window is present.

HH56: The rear fenders and quarters on the real Darrin are lengthened so the profile would look different.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/4/1 12:49
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
Possibly a car put together from parts left over after "Packards-Re-In-Car-Nation" closed its doors some time in the late 80s or early 90s. I heard that the left over parts (cast al. cowls, windshields, etc.) ended up in the southeast. Packards-Re-In-Car-Nation was a company founded by Vernon Peroit which "built copies" of 1940 Packard Darrin Victorias and convertible sedans in Washington State

Posted on: 2015/4/2 0:13
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved