Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 98

Ozstatman, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Whitworth
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Bow
See User information
I'm trying to get my exhaust to release my intake on my '37. Are there any Whitworth size bolts on Packards? The bolts I'm struggling with are 17/32 inch or 13.5 MM.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 15:36
Bilbo
1937 120C Sport Coupe

Continuously snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
 Top  Print   

Re: Whitworth
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No Whitworth threads on Packard automotive engines. Treaded fasteners on Packards, especially the prewar ones, were predominately NF with NC used more sparingly.

But it's unclear to me exactly what you're trying to separate from what, how about a better explanation or even a photo of what you're facing?

Posted on: 2015/4/1 15:43
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
If you are talking about the bolt head size on the two bolts that hold the pipe up,they probably are scaled down to a smaller size. It happens a lot on exhaust systems. If the pipe doesn't want to drop,there is a holder(hanger)that bolts the pipe to the side of the bell housing with 2 of the clutch pan bolts using the same bolt holes.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 20:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds like he is talking about the bolts that join the two manifolds together.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 11:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
If it is the bolts which hold the intake and exhaust manifolds together than were talking of three bolts. One is behind the exhaust flange between the block and manifold exhaust pipe flange. Its a good time to replace your heat riser at that time(usually they are worn loose or frozen fast).
1937 6 cyl. exhaust manifolds were prone to getting cracked,but later ones will work,though they don't look exactly the same.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It could be the bolt heads are reduced in size by corrosion. This is common on exhaust manifolds because of the heat.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 17:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Bow
See User information
I should have been more specific. My exhaust manifold would not release my intake manifold. Yes three bolts. The confusion came when all three bolts measured exactly the same.
All three had rusted exactly the same amount and evenly. They all looked fine but they were between a 1/2 and a 9/16.
I have since torched them off. Now I just need to extract the remnants out of the intake manifold.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 20:35
Bilbo
1937 120C Sport Coupe

Continuously snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved