Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 146

Ozstatman, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 115C Steering Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I recently replaced what I think is known as the center crank bearing on the front suspension of my 37 Packard 115C Club Sedan. I did this because there was too much play in the steering but it has had no effect whatsoever, still too much play. Now I think perhaps its time to adjust the steering box. The vehicle was restored back in the late 70's but has been maintained well. I would appreciate fellow Packard owners feedback and suggestions. Thank you like always.

Posted on: 2015/4/8 15:45
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 115C Steering Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Sloopy steering is generally from worn joints or a worn steering box. What was the condition of the center crank bearing after you removed it from the car?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/4/8 16:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
It appeared okay but had to be pressed out.

Posted on: 2015/4/8 16:34
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
Unlike most other steering boxes Packard used shims under the steering sector gear,so to move it down for deeper mesh with the worm you will have to keep removing shim till you get all the play out. Make sure you measure this in the center position.count turns lock to lock with the steering arm disconnected and turn it back half the turns on the steering wheel(steerings are always measured in the center position for play)Do this all before you pull the top cover off to remove any shims.
Check your drag link and see if the springs might be broken or not adjusted right. The ball on the center crank arm or at the other end on the pitman(steering box arm) could also be worn oval.

Also check your 4 tie rod ends for looseness.

Posted on: 2015/4/8 16:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Once you're convinced that the steering gear box is the source of the excessive play you should read pg 52/53 of the 1937 Six Operation and Maintenance Data booklet; its a great little book packed with mechanical data and if you don't have one, try to get one. If you observe cross shaft play, it is adjusted with an adjusting screw - it's very common for hi-mileage gear boxes to need this adjustment. But DO NOT overdo it or you'll damage the gear box. What I like to do is elevate the front wheels and use a fish scale at the perimeter of the steering wheel, pull the wheel back and forth thru the center point as you adjust and back off the adjustment as soon as you see an increase in required effort to pull the wheel thru the center point, same technique as used for the tooth mesh engagement. Alternatively leave just a tad of free play on the cross shaft.

Pages attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (159.92 KB)
177_5525aa6214b77.jpg 1280X927 px

Posted on: 2015/4/8 17:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you !!

Posted on: 2015/4/8 20:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The booklet for the Service Training Film Supplement on steering has the complete information on adjustment of the steering box.

Safe T fleX Film Supplement

Posted on: 2015/4/9 0:15
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved