Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing paint from plastic
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Does anyone know of a paint remover that won't hurt plastic. I need to strip the interior trim of my Packard which has some areas of plastic under the paint. I've heard people on other forums suggest oven cleaner and simple green but I didn't think simple green would remove paint.

Posted on: 2015/4/9 20:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing paint from plastic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I"ve never tried Simple Green but don't think oven cleaner is a good idea. That stuff is fairly aggressive. Wonder about some of the citrus based strippers. They are supposed to be a more gentle product but still anything that loosens paint can't be that gentle.

Posted on: 2015/4/9 22:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Corsa,

Straight Simple Green will remove paint. It needs to sit for quite a while. Might want to try spraying on and then wrapping in SG soaked paper towel or cloth if spraying and letting sit doesn't work. Probably want to try a small test piece first.

I found out it takes paint off of something I only wanted to clean. Sprayed it on to get rid of dirt build up on metal and then forgot about it for a couple of hours. Dirt and most of the paint came off. Also should wear gloves.

Posted on: 2015/4/10 7:45
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Simple Green is an agressive cleaner that can spot some plastics. It has a organic solvents. I'd use the oven cleaner - lye is not that damaging to most plastics

Posted on: 2015/4/10 8:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

I've had luck removing enamel paint from plastic with Go-Jo Hand Cleaner. Multiple gently rubbed applications softened the paint and wiped clean without damage to the plastic. Works well too just to clean plastic surfaces in modern cars that accumulate body oils and grime from handling.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/4/10 8:35
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
We have all seen what brake fluid does to paint.
It usually works well for me.

Posted on: 2015/4/10 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
When I paint around the inside of the house, I use TSP (the real stuff - sodium tri-phosphate) in hot water to remove from plastic face plates. IMO that what ever you decide to use, try it on the back side to ensure that is does not affect the plastic adversely as there are many different types of plastic.

Posted on: 2015/4/11 9:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I agree with Stephen and Marston regarding testing whatever you decide to try on as inconspicuous a place as you can find. Tenite is not the most stable of plastics.

Posted on: 2015/4/11 9:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I finally used Purple Power and it did a fabulous job removing the paint while not affecting the plastic. I made two troughs to soak the bottom of the garnish molding. I allowed the molding to soak over night and washed off the paint with a brush and dish washing liquid. I have attached photos.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.62 KB)
58975_55d6a7c6957af.jpg 1280X122 px

jpg  (27.71 KB)
58975_55d6a8213fe3d.jpg 1280X477 px

jpg  (36.44 KB)
58975_55d6a83ebe652.jpg 1280X231 px

Posted on: 2015/8/20 23:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved