Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 142

BigKev, bkazmer, Tom (Packin31), TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

PMCC Auto Design Artwork - 1950s
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Had a lot of fun today attending an auto art design exhibition at a local university entitled "American Dreaming." Met up with some auto designers that I know; example, Vince Geraci that worked with Dick Teague at AMC. This is one of the wonderful things you get to enjoy by living around the Motor City.

Anyway, the curator, Bob Edwards has collected a ton of concept drawings and I saw a number of pieces that were done for Packard that I have never seen before. I will add stuff over the next few days. But for this post you will see:

? Albert Vail: images from 1946 and 1949

? Robin Jones: 4 images ca. 1951 for the "1953 - 1954 update"

? Richard Arbib or Ben Kroll: image from "early 1950s" for the PMCC Solar Sports

Sorry about the light glare and reflections, but I think you get the idea. Click onto enlarge.

More later.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.44 KB)
436_5531b8f971dcd.jpg 750X1000 px

jpg  (58.26 KB)
436_5531b919095a0.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (59.78 KB)
436_5531b92458427.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (56.64 KB)
436_5531b933d3329.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (54.66 KB)
436_5531b947a4931.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (61.74 KB)
436_5531b955c8677.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2015/4/17 20:54
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Re: PMCC Auto Design Artwork - 1950s
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Robin Jones work never fails to impress. Not only are his ideas beautiful, but there is a very fine touch evident in his renderings. I recall that he did the side trim on the 53 Clippers--pieces that exhibit a high degree of detailing. If I had to guess I'd say that the 53-4 grill flutes were done by him. He seemed to love to mix concave and convex surfaces.

My old 51 200 is slowly heading toward a paint job. Perhaps I can work in some of Mr. Jones ideas whilst it is apart.

Thanks so much for posting these renderings.

What did Mr. Jones do later in life?

Posted on: 2015/4/18 5:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
He worked for Ford, and brought his vertical grille ideas -- just in time for the Edsel (although Roy Brown was the head designer for the Edsel Division).

Jones' Packard renderings were published in The Packard Cormorant #73, and used by Robert Neal a few years ago in his "History as it Should Have Been" article in TPC #152.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 7:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Roger

Thanks for posting the interesting period design work. Robin Jones had a fine eye for overall form complimented by deft, intriguing details. The Contour series would have been much better received had management built his designs to differentiate the Junior and Senior models. One can see the Request design theme emerge in those with vertical grilles.

His side treatments have a fine, elegant look. The '53 Clipper Deluxe side trim is one of his best, very nicely detailed and visually interesting. Design number four, the one assumes to be black Patrician was perfect for that model, wish they had used it. He did indeed create the fluted grille overlays for the '53-'54 models.

Robin Jones moved onto Ford Styling in mid-1952 after Packard, was assigned to Mercury, then Roy Brown's group working on the upcoming new E-Car, contributed significantly to that ill-fated make. Variously after were more time with Mercury, International and Truck styling departments through to retirement.

The article detailing his Packard years is in The Cormorant, Winter 1993-94, Number 73. It includes the artwork seen here as well as his entertaining recollections of those years, a must for any Packard enthusiast. Included in the issue is Ed Cunningham's "The Leather Colo(u)r Hoax", one of his funniest Packard stories.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/4/18 7:50
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Thanks for posting, Roger. Had made a mental note to see it but obligations conspired against. Never knew the vertical grill theme was developed this early. The first Robin Jones image in particular fortells the Predictor "shield" motif that came out so striking.

Can't help but notice in Robin's renderings the taller greenhouse/lower beltline, eliminating the high pockets.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 14:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

RogerDetroit wrote:
Had a lot of fun today attending an auto art design exhibition at a local university entitled "American Dreaming." Met up with some auto designers that I know; example, Vince Geraci that worked with Dick Teague at AMC. This is one of the wonderful things you get to enjoy by living around the Motor City.

Anyway, the curator, Bob Edwards has collected a ton of concept drawings and I saw a number of pieces that were done for Packard that I have never seen before. I will add stuff over the next few days. But for this post you will see:

? Albert Vail: images from 1946 and 1949

? Robin Jones: 4 images ca. 1951 for the "1953 - 1954 update"

? Richard Arbib or Ben Kroll: image from "early 1950s" for the PMCC Solar Sports

Sorry about the light glare and reflections, but I think you get the idea. Click onto enlarge.

More later.

I've seen most of these but nice to see them again.

Not shown here, this exhibition will also include artwork from Bill Robinson who designed the Plymouth Belmont. At least one of Bill's Packard designs (not shown here) will also be displayed. The design is for what I call the "Packard brown sportsters" of which there were a whole series... all done in brown color. The artwork for another of the Packard brown sportsters turned up at the Mitchell-Bentley auction last year. I have images of that one which is closely related to Bill Robinson's design.

Bill Robinson's Belmont Plymouth was actually inspiration for yet another brown Packard sports car that I call the "Packard Belmont." Hopefully you will see the whole story on the brown Packard sports cars and the "Packard Belmont" in an upcoming TPC magazine.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 16:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Leeedy:

You mentioned a brown sportster? Then here is one for you. It was done by Bill Robinson back in 1951 and was labeled, "Briggs Design, PMCC, Fiberglass bodied Sports Car Proposal."

Attach file:

jpg  (47.64 KB)
436_5532f045b1cba.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2015/4/18 19:01
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Yup. I am well familiar with this one and the story behind it. As I stated earlier, done by Bill Robinson who also did the Plymouth Belmont.

There were other Packard sportsters... all done in brown for some reason.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 20:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Saw the exhibit this afternoon, last day of run. Wonderful designs and was struck by how early some of the production designs that we know so well had been dreamed up.

On the Robin Jones images that RogerD attached, I noted that 2,3 and 4 were labeled 1949 and 1 was labeled 1951. My guess is that 2,3 and 4 supported the 1951 program while 1 the 1953 refresh. They all seem to have been derived from the same template that fixed the wheels, windshield etc. The backlight shapes suggest that 2 and 4 were for Patrician, the other two for 200. I find it amazing that both the pre-war '40-42 vertical grill and what came to be the '55 Predictor grill were on the table for the '51 program. Also that the leadership chose 2 as the general form, perhaps because it looked more modern?

The beltlines on 1-4 are clearly lower and greenhouses taller than production, which ties in to Reinhart's later complaints that body engineering went against Studio.

Notice the chrome applique on beltline of 2 and 4, suggestive of the "Darrin dip"... now we know where the '53 Caribbean may have gotten it from.

Posted on: 2015/5/2 17:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Mahoning63 wrote:
Saw the exhibit this afternoon, last day of run. Wonderful designs and was struck by how early some of the production designs that we know so well had been dreamed up.

On the Robin Jones images that RogerD attached, I noted that 2,3 and 4 were labeled 1949 and 1 was labeled 1951. My guess is that 2,3 and 4 supported the 1951 program while 1 the 1953 refresh. They all seem to have been derived from the same template that fixed the wheels, windshield etc. The backlight shapes suggest that 2 and 4 were for Patrician, the other two for 200. I find it amazing that both the pre-war '40-42 vertical grill and what came to be the '55 Predictor grill were on the table for the '51 program. Also that the leadership chose 2 as the general form, perhaps because it looked more modern?

The beltlines on 1-4 are clearly lower and greenhouses taller than production, which ties in to Reinhart's later complaints that body engineering went against Studio.

Notice the chrome applique on beltline of 2 and 4, suggestive of the "Darrin dip"... now we know where the '53 Caribbean may have gotten it from.

A most interesting aspect here is that Albert Vail was predicting the 1957 Packard hood ornament (the one that never got to production) in the 1940s.

As for Robin Jones' designs, one should note that they were quite influential first on the 1955 Packard Request... particularly the U-shaped bars adjacent to the upright grille. This was almost a direct carry-over from Robin's design work.

And yes, Robin's thinner versions of the vertical grille indeed were more evident on the Predictor, but again the Predictor's vertical "grille" was actually a spring-loaded vertical bumper. Robin's stylized thin grilles were also obviously influential on the proposed Detroit-built 1957 Packards that-unfortunately-never came to reality.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 13:25
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved