Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
48 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 47

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater and Defroster installation instructions--1942/46/46 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Hi All, I'm in need of a copy of the installation instructions for the accessory heater (under seat) and accessory defroster. Each had its own dash switch. The car is a 1946 Packard Deluxe Clipper. Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 18:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater and Defroster installation instructions--1942/46/46 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Hi, I also need a photo of the actual heater and defroster switch wiring (do not need schematic). Thanks

Posted on: 2015/4/19 8:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have no factory documentation but if other info doesn't come along and you want them, can offer photos and description of a 2106 in progress. The wiring is new but I am reasonably sure I know and duplicated how it was done originally. Wouldn't think the stock underseat heater and defroster/footwarmer install in a Deluxe would be any different.

Posted on: 2015/4/19 11:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Thanks Howard. Please PM me with a photo of the back of dash switch area if it isnt to much trouble. Regards

Posted on: 2015/4/19 17:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't PM photos so here are a couple. The switches are the same for both and I don't think it really matters on location. Equipped options and probably operator preferences have something to do with layout but for sake of argument, the only decent photo of the switch area I could find is in the 46 acc folder. It shows the heater as using the second slot and defroster under it.

With those particular switches it doesn't really matter which terminal is which but I put the battery feed on the one closest to operator and the motor wire on the forward terminal connected to the resistor bank. Note that the wires are not connected and are just sitting on the switch terminals in the photo. I am using a special switch in my car to work both items because of the rearrangement of the panel layout for my AC.

The power comes from GA terminal on ign switch and has one of the metal inline fuse holders covered by a rubber sleeve. The wire appeared to be 14ga. It can go either above or under the radio but I think lower is easier to reach the fuse. There was a wire assy for each switch but for convenience if they are close together you can use one wire & fuse and just connect the other switch with a short jumper.

The underseat heater wire is 9' long 14ga with a lug on one end and a female .156 snap or bullet connector on the other. From the switch it went over the top of radio and sort of followed the loom until it reached the side where it drops into the top opening in the sheetmetal above the hood release. Exits out the lower opening behind the kickpanel. Mine did not appear to have any clamps until it shared one of the screws on the heater. It just laid under the carpet to reach the heater connection. The defroster lead is a couple of feet long with excess coiled since it was only a few inches to the switch.

Attach file:

jpg  (278.87 KB)
209_55343416067c5.jpg 1122X1042 px

jpg  (93.68 KB)
209_5534341dd3fff.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (109.82 KB)
209_553435cceac40.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/4/19 18:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Howard, Thanks for the photos. Just as I suspected my switches are mounted incorrectly. They are mounted with the wire terminals toward the radio. This makes it impossible to install the radio support rod.

Thanks for your assistance.

Posted on: 2015/4/21 9:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Just asking, has any drawings been found for the heaters wiring?
Wes

Posted on: 2017/11/30 23:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not that I have found. The 42 all model diagram has wiring for the special Clipper dash switch used with the Deluxe heater with reversible motor but nothing for the standard install individual units and switches or what Packard called the Dual Stream underseat heater and the Defroster-Footwarmer unit under the dash.

On my what I assume to be stock install the power for the standard units was from the ign sw thru an inline fuse to one switch and a short jumper connected power to the other switch. A single wire from the individual units then went to their respective switches. Dash unit just went up and to the defroster switch, the floor unit had a single wire clamped in a couple of spots running under the front carpet and up behind the left kickpanel and to the heater switch.

Posted on: 2017/12/1 9:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks Howard, I also saw my other post.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/12/1 12:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved