Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 78

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Building 22 update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
Someone posted here a few months ago that building 22, which has separate ownership from the rest of the plant had been leased.

The local news tonight reported the new tenant has renovated the building and moved in. What strikes me from the looks inside the facility is how low the overhead clearance is. The warehouse area with the steel shelving must be in the one story back part of 22, and yet the clearance looks to be only about 15 feet high.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/business-moves-into-packard-plant/32515550

Posted on: 2015/4/22 18:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Building 22 update
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Steve:

That was me. And here is the thread from August 2014:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14693&forum=4&post_id=148850#forumpost148850

Guess it takes some time in the City of Detroit to get the process moving - 8 months.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 23:26
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
Quote:

RogerDetroit wrote:
Steve:

Guess it takes some time in the City of Detroit to get the process moving - 8 months.

The building probably took some work to get ready for the new tenant, and the piece doesn't say how long he has been in there. This is the kind of fluff piece that the news puts in as time allows, and channel 4 has had a PR campaign promoting Detroit for several years.

I am struck by the low overhead clearance. When the government built the Chippewa plant for Studebaker, they built the ceiling high enough that, after the war, Studebaker used it for truck final assembly. If the forklift doors in the background of this pic are the same height as the doors in building 22, Chippewa has a good 4 feet or more of extra clearance.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.10 KB)
53041_5538fcd3714eb.jpg 292X300 px

Posted on: 2015/4/23 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
Report from channel 7 this morning. The Mayor has an event scheduled for this afternoon.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/renovations-under-way-for-part-of-historic-packard-plant

Posted on: 2015/4/23 11:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
Channel 7 report from this evening about this afternoon's open house, the work The Design Group has already done in the building and what the owner would like to do in the future.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detroit/display-group-becomes-first-company-to-move-in-as-rehab-of-the-packard-plant-moves-forward

Meanwhile, Palazuelo's group has been pointing up the brickwork on the elevator shaft at the north end of the plant.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.04 KB)
53041_5539cec3004a1.jpg 720X960 px

jpg  (88.20 KB)
53041_5539ced2a03c0.jpg 640X852 px

Posted on: 2015/4/24 0:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
The building in question here was pretty much always maintained in good condition. When Packard left it was taken over by Essex Wire Corporation. I believe one of the Essex execs was a former Packard exec...and later sold his Essex holdings for a pile and ended up doing a large golf course in Southern California.

I took numerous photos of this building over the years... 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. When windows started to get broken, the owner simply bricked up the structure completely (it used to have ribbons of glass windows).

It sat available for lease in the bricked-up format for many years. Being bricked-in is probably what saved it. Place was like a fortress.

Posted on: 2015/4/24 10:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:

It sat available for lease in the bricked-up format for many years. Being bricked-in is probably what saved it. Place was like a fortress.

I noticed in one of the TV reports that it appears that small windows have been installed on one level. Makes sense as the company apparently has offices there as well as warehousing.

I was hoping for a look at the door to the tunnel under the tracks to building 84, if it's still there, but no luck.

Quote:
(it used to have ribbons of glass windows).

Yup. Viewed from Harper.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.58 KB)
53041_553a6835150ed.jpg 576X448 px

Posted on: 2015/4/24 10:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved