Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
I need a translation of the numbers on the patrician. Numbers on the firewall are 054373 numbers on the block under the distributor are 6 10 55 birthdate of car? 440275A any info would be helpful.

Posted on: 2015/4/25 2:13
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama parts car- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print 

Re: numbers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The embossed firewall number (theft-proof or body serial number), 054373, is actually D54373 and unfortunately isn't useful in identifying the car other than to say it's either a 1955 or 1956. And the numbers on the engine block are dates the raw castings were made and so don't provide an identification either. The most important number you want to identify your car is the "vehicle number"; the location for this is on a stainless steel tag on the forward front driver's side door jamb. The same number should also be found (if the engine has not been replaced) on the engine, up front near where the oil filler tube enters the block.

Posted on: 2015/4/25 8:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
The numbers I found are 5582 9213 guessing this is the original motor.Fingers crossed there is not a body tag on the car wasn't there when I bought it.Is there a archive that I could look up the motor number with?

Posted on: 2015/4/25 12:41
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As noted before the motor number should match the vehicle number as long as the motor is original to the car. Your 5582-9213 decodes as follows;

5582 = 1955 Patrician (top of the line sedan)
9213 = 8213th 55 Patrician manufactured (out of a total of 9127)

A missing vehicle number plate on the driver's door jamb is something that should arose suspicion, or at the least, curiosity.

Posted on: 2015/4/25 12:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you know any history of the car? I've been told that it was a requirement in some places (or some yards) to turn in the ID tag to DMV if a car was to be scrapped for parts via an incentive and could not be sold whole again -- but a few have been known to escape that fate but did lose the tag in the process. Have never seen that in writing but if true might explain some missing tags.

I know California was doing something similar a few years back in a program to get so called polluters off the road by paying a few dollars to an owner and having the car picked up by a yard which then documented the receipt of the car by defacing the tag and destroying major pieces (engines, trans etc) so they couldn't be sold again.

Posted on: 2015/4/25 13:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IF the frame is not to rusty then look on the SIDE of the frame rail directlyunder the doors. HOWEVER i do not remeber what that number corresponds to.

My 5672-1834 has the "1834" that was painted onto the firewall (engine side) in 8" tall numbers. Painted diaganol to the inner upper corner of the fresh air vent. A picture of it is somewhere on this website from about 4 years ago.

The same number is just scaarcely visible on my other 56 Exec but requires some very good lighting and concentration to read it. thru the finish paint.

Posted on: 2015/4/25 15:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a couple of examples. Problem is that it's an incomplete #, just gives you the sequence# and not the car line or body style.

Attach file:

jpg  (115.17 KB)
177_553bf6f4cedfa.jpg 1280X911 px

jpg  (34.37 KB)
177_553bf737e259e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/4/25 15:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
HH56 made some good points. You may want to research and verify the fact that the car was not scrapped and that you can register it in your state before investing in the restoration. In your local the regs may be more lax than our states.
If the VIN plate was intact and the motor was changed for repair I think all dmv would have no problems with reg even in states where the motor number was originally used back in the day, but with no vin tag I know there are areas that will make it very difficult if not impossible to register and verify ownership. The tag may have just fallen off due to rust and the delicate nature of the original attachment.You may be able to back track through the previous owners and relocate it. A missing plate will surely affect the cars value and marketability in certain areas of the country.

Posted on: 2015/4/25 17:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
As far as I know from the previous owner the car was bought by his dad in '60 drove around for a while then restoration was started in the latter part of the 80's or 90's moved around from florida to minn. in pieces then to wa. state where I bought it. p.o. said it was last reg in fl. going to contact their dmv to see if I can get a copy of the title. reg in wa. is not that difficult if # match I can get a 3yr reg then a title after. selling won't be a problem I plan on keeping it.

Posted on: 2015/4/25 18:47
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
OD,
That picture of the car on the line; it looks like a "22" in the middle, and I don't see any numbers for the theft number either.

Posted on: 2015/4/26 10:36
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved