Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

BigKev, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Designs Never meant to be seen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I found a very interesting article that had these packard pics, along with the video. Designers were allegedly threatened to not keep pics of their designs and projects that were killed the designs were destroyed. Some designers caught on and kept their works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Ti4eJbLMM

Attach file:

jpg  (50.09 KB)
17226_553bb6e12eae1.jpg 1025X531 px

jpg  (57.55 KB)
17226_553bb6f10bc3e.jpg 1030X648 px

jpg  (60.07 KB)
17226_553bb70226cbb.jpg 1023X581 px

Posted on: 2015/4/25 10:47
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Re: Designs Never meant to be seen
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Troy:

Yes, I started a thread about an Art Exhibit here in Detroit (Southfield, MI) showcasing those designs and designers just last week. You can see it here;
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=160566&topic_id=15978&#forumpost160566

I was there for opening night and several of the designers are current members of Motor City Packards - they introduced me around. There is a loose group of designers that hang out for coffee at COSI in Birmingham, MI each Tuesday where they shoot the breeze.

In the video you linked you may have noticed MaryEllen (Green) Dohrs - the designer of the 1955 Caribbean and 400 seats. We had her as a speaker at the 2013 PAC National Meet. She started her career at GM as an interior designer and later worked at Sundberg-Ferar in the middle 1950s when Dick Teague hired her as a contract employee.

Lovely woman. I've interviewed her several times and she tells great stories of what it was like to work in the male dominated auto world in Detroit.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.94 KB)
436_553bcd9f668ec.jpg 756X1186 px

Posted on: 2015/4/25 12:23
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

That Bill Robinson design would have been a good update for 1953, especially the reconfigured greenhouse to reflect the hardtop look. The 'stone-guard' on the upper door is a bit heavy-handed, though toned-down could have been quite nice.

The bullet taillight lens portend the '59 Cadillac. Given the Patrician could have used a bit of flash, maybe they should have cast new lens for '53.....

Love these glimpses at what might-have-been. What an interesting time in the automotive design industry.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/4/26 14:21
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Oh, Roger, didn't see your thread until I started mine. I went to the exhibit at Lawrence Tech today - it was very interesting!

Posted on: 2015/4/26 20:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Yes, I attended the exhibition at Lawrence Tech today too. But the thing that made today most special was the designer's panel discussion that took place beginning at 7:00 PM tonight.

I have talked with Bill Robinson many times over the phone, but we discussed his Packard designs tonight in person.

By the way, it is not at all unusual for a company to retain and ultimately destroy and and all artwork related to a cancelled project. This is merely the normal and traditional procedure-even if the art work was not associated with a particular project. The viewpoint of the car companies is that they own all work that they have paid to have done.

Posted on: 2015/4/29 21:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Fabulous images, TroyT. The first really captures the open airy mood the industry was in, would have been a wonderful alternative to Cadillac. And the proportions are way different than the production car, a little hint hint from design to body engineering.

The third is almost Town Car-like and with the decklid and rear surface changes pushed to the limits. I like the instrument panel on the car, fresh and modern looking.

Might stop by Friday on way home from work if the Lawrence Tech exhibit is still there.

Posted on: 2015/4/30 18:23
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved