Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How does heat get to thermostatic choke?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

vapackard
See User information
How does heat get to the thermostatic choke (Carter WA I)?
Is the air flowing from the tube through the exhaust manifold and then through the spring, or does the heat merely diffuse into the chamber.? Reason for question: the manifold has rusted through the tube and exhaust crud got into the tube and the control chamber. A temporary solution would be to elongate the tube through the manifold so the opening is remote from the leaking area ,- I think this would work if heat diffuses in the tube, but might not get warm enough if the heated air actually flows through. Comments?

Posted on: 2015/4/25 13:00
 Top  Print   

Re: How does heat get to thermostatic choke?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A very small amount of manifold vacuum within the carburetor is diverted to the Climatic housing and draws the heated air from the choke stove in the manifold to the Climatic bimetallic spring.

Posted on: 2015/4/25 13:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The tube from carb is inserted a very slight distance in the tube which is fixed to manifold. That rusted out tube just heated the fresh air coming in from the bottom which was then passed into the tube going to carb. No actual exhaust gasses were admitted to choke housing.

If you cannot replace the rusted out tube with another piece of steel tubing easily then I believe doing as you propose -- running the carb tube completely thru the manifold -- would serve the same purpose but it could be problematic for future work or removal. Unless there is enough of the old tube left and it is a large enough diameter the complete length to pass the carb tube all the way thru then the elongated tube would have to be sealed in some way so there is not an exhaust leak at the manifold.

Posted on: 2015/4/25 13:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Or you could just clamp the tubing from the choke housing to the outside of the exhaust manifold. There should be plenty of heat to operate the choke thermostatic spring. No need to have the tube exposed to the inside of the exhaust manifold.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/4/25 22:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
JW, That's what Tim from Carburettor Service Company in Sydney did when he rebuilt and reinstalled the carb on my '41 120. Works well.

Posted on: 2015/4/25 22:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved