Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

useless info
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
After looking at the original bill of sale for my 57 Clipper asked my wife to check on the first owner as she is into the family ancestry. After some checking as we had the owners name and address when he purchase car. Found in the 1940 US Census his age calculated when purchased 1950 Packard at age of 68 and my Clipper at the age of 75. I had heard he was old when he purchased the 57. Also that he was a railroad engineer which is on the form and he had a 8th grade education and his house was paid for. Was married and two daughters. The above information on his age and other information I have learned makes me believe that the car only had a little over 30000 mile when I purchased it is correct.

Posted on: 2015/4/25 21:54
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Re: useless info
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think it is interesting that, in the old days, someone with an 8th grade education could but two Packards while today we have people with advanced degrees in mathematics and engineering working at McDonalds and WalMart. This country is being run into the ground.

Posted on: 2015/4/26 6:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A Packard was something you worked your way up to. I see he was over sixty when he bought the first one. That is about when today's university graduates will pay off their student loans and be able to afford a new car.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 20:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Useless information is fun and interesting information.
Your original Packard owner most likely as previously mentioned, worked his way up to Packard ownership.
His first car may have been a second hand Chandler or EMF. Then a new Ford T or Chevrolet or even a Studebaker! Then by progression a Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile and finally a bright shinny new Packard!

Posted on: 2015/7/19 8:20
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Not only could someone with an eighth grade education eventually buy two Packards, they could sometimes do quite well without ever formally attending college.

Jesse Vincent, Packard's Engineering Vice President during WWII, who'd designed Packard's twin-six and Liberty engines, and later the twelve cylinder engine that powered PT boats, and who'd won a gold cup in marine racing in a boat powered by one of his designs, dropped out of school at the 8th grade.

According to The Packard Story by Turnquist, Vincent got his engineering education working in machine shops and through correspondence courses. He joined Packard in 1912 and by the 1920's was chief engineer. Vincent and his staff developed sixes, straight eights, V-eights, V-twelves, horizontal twelves and twenty-four cylinder W engines.

With the way companies rely on diplomas today, if he were a kid today and dropped out of the 8th grade to work in a machine shop and take correspondence courses, he'd probably be sweeping floors in the machine shop and working at Mickey D's part time to make ends meet.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 12:29
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am sorry to say but too many kids today even with a degree are still dumb as dirt and Micky Ds is probably the best they can reasonably expect out of life. Schools claim they can't find good teachers and that is probably true but so many of the kids seem to have no desire to learn anything extra either. The sad part is even if the kids do learn the teachers and parents cannot seem to agree on a way to measure what or if they have learned enough to deserve the diploma. Give it to them anyway to avoid socially stigmatizing their psyche's seems to be the operative. Those kids will never be able to afford a fine car on salary alone.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 13:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved