Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 139

wjames, 29tons, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Clutch adjustment 32 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I'm having issue with transmission gears clashing even at a stop. I have a friend who's knowledgeable about cars and asked if the clutch has any adjustments like a a clutch brake. I'm already aware of the clutch free play adjustment.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 17:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch adjustment 32 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, there isn't a clutch brake, never seen a car that had one. If the gears clash when tryint to engage after a stop even after allowing a few seconds for them to stop spinning, probably the clutch is dragging despite the free play being seemingly OK. Heavier gear oil may help.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Dont know what trans u have

-1st gr grind is typ a bad pilot bearing or input shaft misalignment input shaft bearing or engine mains off center
-If other gears r grinding and its a synchro trans SYNCHRO ADJUSTMENT or REPLACE.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 8:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Poor response (above) on my part, Packardbarry is "on target" for the likely causes. The trans could be either a 4-speed or a 3-speed, depending on model and date of manufacture; as I recall the Light Eight and Twin Six had the new 3-speed synchro from the start of production and the others had it phased in over the production run, replacing a 4-speed.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 8:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
What was the reason that they offered a 4 speed and went back to a 3 speed later on? I know the 1st gear on the 4 speed was like a granny gear making those cars perfect to turn into a tow "truck".

Posted on: 2015/4/28 9:13
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
They really "didn't go back", the 4-speed in 32 was a new synchro unit which replaced the prior 4-speed crash box. Many folks new to those cars don't even realize it is a 4-speed and one wonders what driving experiences might have even required use of the very low 1st gear. But today 1st gear is great for just idling along in a parade at a crawl!

There is an article in one of the older PAC "Cormorant" publications (Spring, 1972) about the 32 transmission situation, the new 4-speed synchro, and the transition from 4 to 3-speed.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
In 72 I was still liquid

Posted on: 2015/4/28 9:41
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
and one wonders what driving experiences might have even required use of the very low 1st gear.

I can think of a few streets in San Francisco that might be possibilities. Even some of todays cars are better off avoiding what seems like a straight up and straight down experience.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 9:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In 72 I was still liquid

Cute! In 20 years when all of us guys who remember this trivia are looking at the grass from the underside, you'll be the oracle of the era! Do you want a copy of the article - I'll gladly mail it to you?

Posted on: 2015/4/28 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Duesenbergs had brake that acted on the clutch at one point.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 16:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved