Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 Clipper 320 cu in auto-lite 1bj-4001 dizzy problems
Just popping in
Just popping in

Randy
See User information
My auto-lite 1JB-4001 dizzy seems to have excess movement not left or right but clockwise/counter clockwise almost lobe to lobe. Timing mark jumps all over and I just can't find a happy medium. After pulling it the bottom gear to the eye looks worn that might be the problem. I'm looking for the gear to replace it myself or a place to either pick up a new dizzy or get mine rebuilt. I checked with Kanter but they don't have one in stock or the replacement gear, but they will rebuild mine. Any ideas of somewhere to check? and is it possible to use a delco dizzy or parts off it?

Thanks Randy.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 8:01
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Clipper 320 cu in auto-lite 1bj-4001 dizzy problems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The distributor drive gear for Autolite and Delco have different part numbers and I would therefore assume they don't interchange directly. I don't know what type of modification to the gear would make them interchange but you can just swap out to a Delco distributor though recognize that the advance curves may need to be adjusted to match the centrifugal and vacuum curves for your engine.

But if the driven distributor gear is truly worn I'd want to know why and could start by examining the drive gear on the camshaft.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 8:56
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Randy
See User information
Owen,
thank you for the info, I guess I'm almost afraid to to find out. When I parked the car back in October it was running ruff. I started checking things out. I ended up changing the timing chain that was stretched bad and while I was there I changed the Fuel pump, water pump, radiator and sent the carb out to have it rebuilt. I changed everything I could connected to a major tune up this past winter. I received my carb back last week thinking everything was ready to go, but when I put the timing light on and that's when I noticed that I couldn't keep the timing marks lined up, it keep jumping around up to an inch and running ruff. That's when I checked the inside of the distributor and noticed all the play, then stated going in that direction looking for problems and here I am looking for something to help correct this new dilemma.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 9:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you sure the distributor drive gear is really the culprit and don't just have work distributor shaft bushings? That would be a more common situation.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 9:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jumpy timing very likely a bad coil or condenser. Change condenser first then try coil.

How many miles are on the engine???

Posted on: 2015/4/28 9:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would also check and make sure something in the centrifugal advance mechanism such as a spring or pin didn't break or fall off. If you work inside the distributor be very careful of the partially hidden fabric covered wire connecting the points to the outside terminal. Your dist may or may not have the wire but if the fabric insulation is rotten and falls off when it is moved the wire can short and you will have no spark.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 9:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
With the distributor disassembled on the bench, any worn parts should be obvious.

I'm rebuilding both the Delco and Autolite and converting them to magnetic trigger and HEI output. It costs about $300 to do it right, but the Packard distributor is such a PITA to reach and adjust points, I decided to do away with that once and for all.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/4/28 10:22
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Randy
See User information
Jack, nice to hear from you again. I had a low oil pressure problem that you helped me with and after I installed your adapter and Olds oil pump my oil pressure is great and no more "clicking".

I haven't started taking apart the distributor yet but if and when I do I will be careful.

can you send me some more info on your converting fix for distributors?

thanks Randy

Posted on: 2015/4/28 11:01
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Randy
See User information
just under 30,000 the car sat inside for 20 years before I got in 2004.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 11:04
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Randy
See User information
checking the bushings by trying to move the shaft side to side is tight I can't even feel any movement.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 11:07
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved