Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1948 22nd Series - The tool kit - brakes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like you need an adjustment of the eccentric anchor pin, also known as a "major" adjustment.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 7:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Owen_Dyneto - you are the first to agree with me what the problem is - as the handbook quotes do the Major Brake Adjustment "if/when the anchor pin locations have been disturbed" - now how difficult can this be one wonders ?

Cheers Michael

Posted on: 2015/5/26 11:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's a basic and simple procedure, you can either follow the method the shop manual (or any manual like Motors, Chiltons, Glenns covering Bendix brakes) gives, or perhaps wait for Ross Miller to chime in who has a simplified and abbreviated method that others have reported to work very well. Obviously what you're doing is making sure the center point of the shoe assembly corresponds with the center of the drums (and of course the spindle), i.e. making sure the two "circles" are concentric. Probably your drum has a small slot in the perimeter to insert feeler gauges to make measurements. Remember, what you do to one front wheel you need to do to the other!

Posted on: 2015/5/26 11:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks again - could you enlighten me on the Ross Miller shortened version of centring and lining up the shoes with the drums please - maybe it is somewhere in the old forums ? - The car is being collected by trailer next week so we can get to the bottom of our trouble up in the air so to speak - where she's going they have more than one lift !!

Cheers Michael

Posted on: 2015/5/27 13:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
See post #12 in this thread - the pages from the Motor's Manual, "anchor pin adjust". For the "quickie" method, if Ross or someone else who has used it doesn't chime in, just give Ross a phone call.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 14:01
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved