Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
29 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 29

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1923 Packard
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

28Pack526
See User information
Ken,

As a follow-up to what DavidM said about the clock, let me suggest a few little tricks I used to get my clock working inexpensively. First of all, Packard sourced the afore mentioned oval clocks from two manufacturers for our cars: Waltham and Jaeger. Of the two, the Jaeger is a far superior part. The Waltham clocks used unstable pot-metal housings that swell, split, and crumble, where the Jaegers are steel.

Secondly, if it's a Packard part for sale on eBay, a seller's price seems to go up at least 5X. I've seen working examples of this clock posted for north of $700, and never seen a functional one for under $300. So buy a broken one :). They can often be had for under ~$50. All you really need is the oval faceplate and housing. The movement inside is a very common for that era Jaeger LC1, and was used in many more "pedestrian" cars.

You can identify clocks with that movement by the two small screws retaining the faceplate on the front, 3 screws in a triangular arrangement securing the movement to the housing, and the position of the speed adjustment slider window (see pic). Find a cheaper, working, non-Packard article and pull a switch-a-roo! The only tool required is a small jeweler's screwdriver for the faceplate and winding shaft screws. You'll save hundreds and still have a 100% authentic clock. I got mine working for around $80 :)

Case in point:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAEGER/311342653303
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111662649533

Attach file:

jpg  (33.90 KB)
42808_5550a80fc1c14.jpg 672X896 px

Posted on: 2015/5/11 8:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 1927 Packard
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ken Partney
See User information
Hello,
There are a few things I have to do to make it drivable and presentable
but it is cleaning up nicely. I will do tires, check all systems and I do have to replace the top material. There is no dents in the body and no rust. The paint is original and way too nice to do anything but hand rub it back to shine. The headliner is still in good condition, seats original and not torn. The carpet is suspect??? The engine is free and turns over nicely, I haven't fired it up yet.The car shows 62K miles, doesn't sound like a lot but considering the roads back them it may be. The car was sold by Earl C Anthony Packard in Los Angeles, Ca. I have old registrations that go back 45 years, looks like it was always a California car.
This is my first Packard ever, I have always been in the old car hobby, or addiction, and most of all enjoy preforming CPR on one that has sat for a very long time. What a thrill when they fire up and come back to life!!! You can almost hear them say THANK YOU!

Posted on: 2015/5/11 9:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ken,

Now that DavidM has confirmed your Packard as a '27 426 5 Passenger Sedan it seems appropriate to now include it in the Registry. But when you do so, there's one little fly in the ointment, the body style drop down list doesn't have a "283" to select. However, please work around this by selecting that closest to your body style and continuing with the entry. Then once you've finished the entry please go back in and edit the body style field to "283 5 Passenger Sedan". And please include a photo.

We'll have to get BigKev on the job to have the drop down lists updated to reflect all the body styles available both sixes and eights. And I see the Model Info listing for '27 also doesn't have 283 listed!

Posted on: 2015/5/11 17:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Ken / Mal

I will attempt to attach the body number information for the Packard Sixes so it can be updated on the web site and Ken if you don't include your car on the Registry my mate Mal (the man from OZ) will annoy you until you do!!
I hope the attachment works.

David

Attach file:

pdf Size: 151.88 KB; Hits: 45

Posted on: 2015/5/11 19:01
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ken Partney
See User information
Hello again, I am happy to know exactly what car I have, and appreciate all the help I received. I attempted to register the car a couple times before but was confused when the numbers didn't work with the year car I thought I had. I will take some pictures and get it handled.

Posted on: 2015/5/12 0:15
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ken Partney
See User information
I'm attempting to add some pictures. I wasen't sure whether to put the here or in archive???

Attach file:

jpg  (32.64 KB)
23123_555e9a8b110fc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.15 KB)
23123_555e9ab88e331.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.40 KB)
23123_555e9ad5606d8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.30 KB)
23123_555e9af3b394c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/5/21 20:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ken,
for including your '27 Six Sedan in the Registry. Your comment that it's cleaning up better than expected is evident from the difference in the pic in the Registry to the latest ones in this thread.

As I have somewhat of a phobia about pic's being the right way up I also reposted the last pic of yours here. And as to whether to post the pic's here or in the Archive, why not do both!

Attach file:

jpg  (25.39 KB)
226_555ea5f9a1b6a.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2015/5/21 22:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ken Partney
See User information
Thanks for doing that, it was right side up on my desk top but when I posted it it turned side ways and I am not profishent at being able to correct it. Also ,being new to this system, I haven't figured out how to see the prewar entries in the registry ???

Posted on: 2015/5/21 22:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"I haven't figured out how to see the prewar entries in the registry"

Ken,

After accessing the Registry there are three options:
Display by Year
Display By Series
Model/Chassis/Body Lookup

The first two have drop down lists where you select the year or Series then click on the Go button. The last, type in the number you want then click the Go button.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 23:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved