Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Your advice on this '51 Patrician for possible purchase
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/5004744728.html

In a couple weeks I will be in Colorado visiting family and friends. I intend to investigate this '51 Patrician in Colorado Springs to determine its condition. I would appreciate your knowledge and advice what to look for specifically in body and mechanical indications to determine ultimately whether to pursue it to final purchase.

I do have a general background in assessing used car conditions and diverse experience with northeastern rusty car (how to avoid them). Mechanical is the major consideration so most attention will be concentrated there.

Just from a cursory examination of the photos while referring to Neal, this car appears to have many factory options installed. How many can you identify and list?

Shipping will run $800-$1000 from Colorado to Western New York, my cousin just had a Dodge Diesel shipped from Ft Collins to here for $850. One can't repair northeast rust and pitted potmetal for that little.

Thanks for your time and responses, all will be noted when investigating this Patrician. Wish me luck!

Steve

Posted on: 2015/5/12 19:51
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Re: Your advice on this '51 Patrician for possible purchase
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like a nice start for a project. As to options I see the Ultramatic, power windows, WS washer, heater, day/night mirror, gas filler guard, back up lights, power antenna, rear seat speaker and I think a signal seeking radio. If windows are power the seat probably is too. Has the deluxe steering wheel and the deluxe hood ornament but I think those were standard on the 400. Except for the windows and maybe the signal seeker/power antenna, many of the others were probably standard on the 400 too.

Posted on: 2015/5/12 20:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
There are a few things that disturb me in looking at the CL pictures. One is the underhood view. It appears that the fuel line is routed incorrectly and comes up from under the heater box, through a filter and then makes a U-turn into the carburetor. I wonder what's on the lower front right side of the engine where the fuel/wiper vacuum booster pump should be? Also, if the factory pump has been removed in favor of an electric pump, how are the windshield wipers powered? Another very minor item is it looks like the battery ground strap is not connected to the engine. Of course it may have been loosened deliberately when it was stored and is just dangling down.

The picture of the rear of the car shows the exhaust pipe exiting from almost the center of the car. It has to be routed just under the fuel tank which can cause all kinds of fuel temperature issues when driving in hot weather. Why was it routed that way?

I'm sure you noted the clear plastic at all the door windows. This means there's a leak somewhere in the hydraulic power window/seat system that causes the windows to lower and not operate. They state all the glass is good but you won't be able to verify that until the system is fixed. I'd figure on a replacement of all cylinders and hoses to start with. Then the pump and the switches can be checked for proper operation. And I'm sure you also noted that the outside rearview mirrors look to be aftermarket and appear to be awkwardly installed at the leading edges of the doors.

The written statement is somewhat confusing. They state the car runs but hasn't been driven in five years. Then how do they know it runs if they haven't tried it for five years? Perhaps they meant the engine runs; hopefully they've been starting it periodically. If not, you know you're in for a fuel system overhaul.

On the plus side, it does look like there isn't much rust visible (I'd like to see some pictures of the lower edges of the doors and fenders though) and the brightwork does look pretty good. It even appears to have a couple of extra rims in the trunk. As you wish, best of luck with this.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 1:02
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
My only caveat is that the hydraulic windows are an expensive plague. For a long term keeper I would surely replace them with manual, or install universal electric lifts from the street rod boys. Be sure the brake fluid has not rotted out the door bottoms. Gosh I hate those things.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 6:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Interior, Interior.
The original is high quality wool. If it looks like it will clean up acceptably (not perfect) it's a big plus. If not, a huge minus.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 9:11
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed. Body and Interior are the two most expensive items to set right. Mechanicals are the cheapest to redo.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 11:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
It looks like the cloisonn? hubcaps are missing. 1951 was the last year for the enamel center emblems.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 14:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1951 was the last year for the enamel center emblems.

True, but not for the entire production run, they were a feature of just the earlier cars. The penny-pinchers in action again.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 14:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Looks like a very solid Western car in an attractive paint color, that with a little bit of work you could drive and enjoy while you upgraded it. And if you changed your mind, you could easily flip it, since it's an un-messed-with, rustless, top of the line, Packard with some desirable accessories. Go for it!

Posted on: 2015/5/13 17:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Thanks all for your considered advice and encouragement. Here's my list to check so far:

Body: body mounts, doglegs, door bottoms for hydraulic fluid damage/rust, trunk floor and inside rear wheel houses. General for dents, rust, bondo. Glass including doors as much as possible. Paint is just something I plan on at some point after making it a reliable driver.

Interior: hoping its good enough to clean up, that minor repairs will make it serviceable, remembering its costly-to-replace, high-quality wool. That relentless Colorado sun is very hard on the soft-trim I've seen on cars there over the years. Usually the upper rear seat cushions are sun-bleached and ragged.

Mechanical: "runs" to me means it does so well enough to move it round the yard but not up to road operation, at least in the last five years. Shortcuts fixes like electric fuel pump, exhaust routing, jerry-rigged vacuum, inadequate ground cable, aftermarket mirrors are just the things to be expected. Condition if the wiring insulation will be noted. A total brake job would be definitely in order.

Thanks for the rundown on options, thought it looked well-equiped, like that in a top-line car (wish it was a Derham Formal Sedan). The power windows are a feature I'd prefer to keep operational but electrically if the hydraulic set-up turns out to be too costly to restore and still troublesome. Crank operation is always an option, we still have enough parts cars among club region members as source.

Further questions: Noting the aftermarket oil pressure gauge, what should it show on cold start? What should it show after it warms up? I'll be looking for blue smoke on start-up, note if it continues as it warms. If the brakes work well enough, I intend to move it around at least to see it move itself. I'd rather be able to drive it......

Anything else you can add will go on the list. Thanks again for the advice and luck!

Steve

Posted on: 2015/5/13 19:18
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved