Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Brakes Springs on a 47 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi, Looking for information on the brakes for my 47 Packard. Most of the parts are pretty standard, but I can not find why one spring is yellow and the other is orange. I would guess it has something to due with the primary band and secondary band. Could someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks!
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (96.80 KB)
1003_555344d36252b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/5/13 7:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Brakes Springs on a 47 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The weaker spring goes on the primary shoe so it will contact the drum first and provide the servo effect. They are color coded to indicate spring tension. Looks like you've got a secondary shoe lining (or at least the length of one) on the primary as well.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 7:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
O_D, that's what JW also noted on my Project Blog. So I guess I need to find the correct shoe or is that correct the way it should be and are the correct springs on and in their correct positions? Meaning is the orange spring the weaker spring and for the correct Primary shoe.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/13 9:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't have a key to the spring colors but just give them a tug with a pair of pliers and you should be able to tell which is weaker and which is stronger. Also wire diameter and OD should be a clue. You also obviously want identical spring positioning on all wheels but especially on the fronts.

It was standard industry practice at the time, for decades prior, and for years later in the replacement parts sector to have a different frictional material for the primary and secondary shoes in addition to the different lining lengths. I think with today's replacement shoes the distinction of different primary and secondary lining materials is pretty gone the way of the DoDo bird so I wonder if the different lining length plays much of a role. Regardless of that you surely want the same conditions left to right, probably less significant front to rear as the rear brakes are the minority players.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 9:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wes, good words from O_D, as usual. When I did the brake system on my 47 Custom I had the brake shoes relined. Shorter linings were attached to the front shoes, but I believe the fronts and backs were of the same material.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/5/13 9:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to later SMs, the orange spring is on the primary shoe and yellow is on the secondary so orange spring toward front. Smaller cars had the same color springs (V8 Clippers for one). Kanters brake kits for the 47 Customs come with the same color springs -- gray -- so as O_D says, maybe not that important the different tension on the modern shoes.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 10:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Here is an article I authored a couple of years ago. If you want new springs they are available at Napa, Autozone etc., but all the new return springs are the same tension.

Attach file:

jpg  (164.67 KB)
385_5553814662386.jpg 975X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/5/13 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"install the primary brake shoe spring first".
I can not find any distinction or spec in the 55-56 SM as to which spring to install first.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 13:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
If you look at the photos in the Service Manual it shows spring placement. It is also in the Service manuals back to 1942 which is the earliest I have. I know I read it in a Packard document and confirmed with photos.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 17:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Inspect the bend in the springs. Not likely any difference tho. The 55-56 manual pictures is not real clear as to what is front or rear of cars pics.

The sequence installation of the springs mite depend on rear park brake bar and or SELF adusting brakes BUT ONLY for ease of assembly.

As a side note, the 55-56 maunal aas well as the pic in post #1 of this thread shows less than craftsmannship for spring installation. THAT IS that the the spring(s) at the top anchor should be bent so that the non-tension margin of the spring is parallel to the sping. NOT kind of "J" shaped as is shown in the manual.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 18:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved