Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

37Blanche, Miguel Gallego, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Brakes Springs on a 47 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See pic in post #1 above.
There appears to be somekind of standard round washer used behind the springs. I'm not familiar enuf with 47 Packard but my guess is that it should be a kind of bow-tie or football shaped washer. That should be rather ez to source and i dobt is a special packard part. Or it's supposed to be a round washer???

As for primary short shoe:
It should be shorter, yes. However i have bought over the years AFTERMARKET brake shoe sets from reliable local autoparts stores that all had same length linings. Some sets with short primary. A mixed bag depending on aftermarket supplier.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 18:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi All, And thanks for all the input. I guess it would help if I could find a Packard Service Manual on the Bendix Brakes for the 1947 or around about there, but I haven't been able to find one yet or I keep looking in the wrong places.
First, I looked at and I am posting a picture from the parts book showing that the round washer (1.406) was used, not the football shaped washers like on other make of cars. I know what your talking about I've also seen them.
Also closer inspection of the shaft I've noticed a seal (12.0341) just behind the nut and washer on the axel. I would guess that seal should be easy to find, or maybe not. I can see it being over looked. (See picture with red arrow pointing at it.).
I was amazed about the positioning of the springs as far as which one is on top of the other and the bend in the ends of the springs after being reinstalled. I guess that's what separtates the Shade Tree Mechanics from the Pros.
Thanks again and hopefully in future this post will be helpful to future Packard Owners.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (26.57 KB)
1003_5554d4745d1a5.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (73.18 KB)
1003_5554d4a700bab.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (30.46 KB)
1003_5554d4bc4131c.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (28.06 KB)
1003_5554d651d8210.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2015/5/14 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wes, the round washer is the same type that was on the rear brakes of my 47 Custom. Also look at the condition of the seal surface on your brake drums. Often times this surface has a groove worn in it from the outer oil seal. This may prevent the oil seal from sealing. You can restore the surface with a Redi Sleeve or Speedy Sleeve. They are sold by bearing stores. The surfaces were worn on my Clipper and I used the sleeves from Timken. They were a bit long and I had only to grind off the small excess to make them fit. Here are some photos for you.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (26.93 KB)
565_5554ddd0e4419.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (28.73 KB)
565_5554ddde6cdf0.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2015/5/14 12:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I didn't check if the usual suspects had them but didn't expect that felt seal washer your arrow points to as being readily available. Made mine out of 1/4" thick firm felt sheet from McMaster. Used a couple of hole punches to cut the circles.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 13:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Felt? The way mine was breaking up I first thought it was just dirt and grim packed in there or some kind of cork. But felt sounds good to me.
Thanks Howard
JW, first I think I'll try a new seal if it still looks wet during the next inspection, I'll look into the sleeve, thanks for the suggestion.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/14 16:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
wes, sent you a pm

Posted on: 2015/5/14 18:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
The orange/yellow springs were used since at least 1940 on the senior 160/180's right through 56 seniors.

The aftermarket part #'s were #120 primary orange and #122 secondary yellow. Aftermarket also offered a "heavy duty "setup of both springs #122/yellow. Our spring supplier produces those springs in gray, thus ours is a heavy duty setup. It seems that the longstanding practice of short primary linings/long secondary, different lining composition for primary/secondary and different spring tension for primary/secondary has been found to be in question, thus the changes.

There are comments on which spring should be installed first, the justification being that a service manual or other photo shows one spring below the other. a case of a "rule" being made from an observation , they can be installed either way, no difference.

About pinching the open spring end to make it parallel, no service manual justification or any in Chilton or other manual. The springs have lots of tension; they will not "jump" off.

Thanks
James
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2015/5/15 8:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks James!
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/15 14:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Rear brakes on my '54 Clipper. In 1954 on the Special and Deluxe models, they went to a smaller brakes. Also they used the same spring for primary and secondary. This was continued into the 1955 Clippers are well.

The brake shoes I used are NAPA Professional series, which cross to several trucks in the 1970s.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.33 KB)
1_55564e0593a62.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/5/15 14:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Funny thing happened while researching Bendix brakes and which spring goes on top and which on goes on the bottom. I found the answer to the most basic question in our home, under or over. Well I can finally put this one to rest. See picture below.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (70.31 KB)
1003_555f247404009.jpg 871X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/5/22 7:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved