Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: What kind of oil to use? 1941 Packard 110
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Sorry, not to hijack... I know many people use the Rotella. It is a diesel oil, correct? (maybe it is more correct to say that it is a diesel/gas engine oil) I thought that I recall reading (somewhere) that it was not a good alternative for the gasoline engines, even tho it does contain high levels of zinc. I can't recall the cited reasons. Whatever the source was that I read could very well have predated changes made over the years to the Rotella product.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2015/5/20 20:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Your compression is a bit low, but will perhaps improve after some extended driving.

You will be more satisified with your drivability if you have the distributor rebuilt. The point gap problems are likely caused by sloppy bushings. Hard starting when warm is normal and was even noted in the service literature at the time.

You will get far more satisfaction from the dist. rebuild than from the Pertronix. I had one in my 51 for a while and it is now sitting on a shelf. I will happily sell it to you half price. Nuf said.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 2:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Ross,

What specifically is the issue with the Pertronix? Doesn't every modern car have some form of this type of ignition and they all work all the time? My Dad rebuilt a 1970 Lamborghini Miura S (12-cylinders, 6 Weber carburetors...talk about complex!) and the first thing the engine shop did was throw out the points and put in an MSD ignition system.

What an I risking by going with Pertronix?

Posted on: 2015/5/21 22:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Electronic ignitions need 5.3 volts to operate. With any sort of resistance problem, or even starting on a cold morning the voltage to the unit can fall below that threshold and it will not trigger.

After repeated no starts on my 51--which is in good mechanical condition and cranks over quite well--I removed the Pertronix and the car starts readily hot or cold.

As hard as it is for many to believe, the 6v sytems really did work quite OK. All one has to do is bring them back to standard condition. I have six cars in regular use that run 6v and none have left me stranded.

A further caveat for electronic ignitions that use the points to trigger: The low current over the points gives them terrific life, but normal dirt and fumes in the dist. can eventually stop them from triggering. I had a very high quality ignition system on my 56 Packup 12 volt, neg ground. The car quit right in the middle of a busy intersection and I had to coast slowly across. After some highly aggravated fiddling determined that the points had stopped conducting. Snapped them shut several times and continued on my way. Realizing that my quest for greater reliebility had actually give me less, I have removed the electronic igniton.

If I was laying down 30000 miles a year on each of these cars, it might be another matter, but for the mileage each of them sees, I find I am better off with a dist with good bushings and points.

Posted on: 2015/5/22 4:40
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
I have a '39 110 that I installed the Pretronix unit on and it has been the best thing I've done to help with the starting. I did also install an inline voltage stabilizer, $8.00, because electronic units are very picky about consistent voltage and the range of the voltage, generators are not good at putting out consistent volts and that will fry the ign. unit. I highly recommend the system.

Posted on: 2015/5/22 5:41
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved