Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
36 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 36

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

115c Generator
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bob Rousseau
See User information
Good evening,

I have started to work on my 115c today and have sorted through the parts that came with the car. It has the Delco Remy voltage regulator, however the generator is missing.

Would anyone be able to provide me with the part number or model for an adequate replacement unit? I am looking for anything that will fit and work and am not concerned with the originality of looking right.

Are there multiple units that may fit and do the job that can be sourced?

Would anyone have a decent used one that I could acquire?

Thank you for any information or possible leads.

Bob

Posted on: 2015/5/16 19:15
"Vision without execution is just hallucination"
 Top  Print   

Re: 115c Generator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I should have one....I will look tomorrow, already locked the door on the generator shed...

DAF

Posted on: 2015/5/16 20:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bob Rousseau
See User information
Thank you Flackmaster! Please ket me know.

Bob

Posted on: 2015/5/17 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hi Bob,
I looked this morning with the aid of a magnifying glass at the generator on my 37 115c. The Model number is 948U and the serial number is 20554. I hope this will help you.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 7:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OEM parts for a 1937 115C were generator and regulator 948U and 5827 if Delco-equipped, GCJ-4801A and VRD 4001A if AutoLite.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 7:53
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bob Rousseau
See User information
Thank you Corsaseven and Owen Dyneto for the information.

I'm hoping that Flackmaster may have something in his inventory. I think that the regulator on the cat may also be wrong also as I have a fourth wire in the new harness.

Bob

Posted on: 2015/5/18 11:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
Hi,Bob the original regulators had 4 terminals but the correct replacements had three(they just told you to tape up the extra wire. I will check but I think it was a ground terminal/wire that they eliminated.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 12:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I have three - autolite GCJ-4801A, used, no history, Delco 948U, used, streetrod takeout, and a NORS replacement unit, which I would have to look closer at to see if it is a Delco or Autolite unit....150 ea, your choice. If it were me, it would be a coin toss between the Autolite and Delco, both are pretty easy to service, or the NORS unit which should be ready to go. OH, wait, now I remember why I have the new unit - because the guy who shipped it to me packed it like crap and broke/bent the pulley, so you'd have so source a pulley from a shop (they are all the same size) I do not have a Delco regulator, only autolite VRD's, so that may matter if you don't have a regulator.

Note that I am headed off to the Euro-Packard Rally tomorrow, so if you want something shipped, your prompt reply would be necessary.

DAF

Posted on: 2015/5/18 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Why not install a newer generator and voltage regulator? The newer ones have more output. Wiring connection between the gen and VR is simple: armature is armature, field is field, and ground is ground. Physical size could be easily matched, but you may have to get a proper pulley.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/5/18 13:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bob Rousseau
See User information
Flackmaster,

Thank you for looking. PM sent.

Thank you also convert, JW and owen for the advice/suggestions.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 13:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved