Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Some 356 camshaft questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Here's a basic drawing of a valve as it sits in the block.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (16.48 KB)
1003_555df7b46f39a.jpg 231X482 px

Posted on: 2015/5/21 10:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My apologies for repeating myself again in this thread, but Wesley's illustration helps show one reason why the edges of cam followers break off; it can follow within 2 revolutions of the motor when the cylinder head has been resurfaced beyond limits. Visualize that as the cam lobe begins to lift the valve, if there is insufficient clearance in the combustion chamber for the valve to open fully because it has been resurfaced excessively, then the valve will hit the top of the cylinder head, thus limiting it's upward movement. The cam lobe may still be at the edge of the tappet follower and thus the force breaks the edge of the follower. More often than not the valve will also be bent.

Thus the reason not to ever resurface a head unless absolutely necessary, and whenever a head is resurfaced or questionable, perform one of several tests to make sure you have enough clearance for the full valve lift.

PS: Of course that's not the only scenario that would result in a cam follower breaking at the edge. Another would be a valve frozen in it's guide.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 11:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
OD, your post made me think of this one,http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2734

Posted on: 2015/5/21 11:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved