Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Viberation my Packard. 115-c. 6
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
I have a viberation in my Packard 6. I removed the belt on the harmonic balancer it feels tight! Compression is 120 + - on all and holds, plugs all white/ brown, idles and runs good, oil pressure. 30-35. It idles smooth but when reved up a bit I have a shake almost like a skip!!. Could this be the balancer? . I could use some ideas or help on this. Thanks Dave

Posted on: 2015/5/18 7:48
Learnig
 Top  Print   

Re: Viberation my Packard. 115-c. 6
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You don't say whether it's related to engine speed or road speed so I'd check that first. I'd say the chance that it's the vibration damper is very slim, more likely ignition or fuel if it's engine speed-related.

EDIT: Cross-fire between high tension leads? Loose or worn distributor rotor? Carbon tracking on the distributor cap?

Posted on: 2015/5/18 8:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I agree - fuel or ignition, and personally I'd bet on ignition as you suggest it is more "regular" than erratic fuel? Distributor issue? weak condensor or coil output?

Posted on: 2015/5/18 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
It'd be worthwhile to take a look at the engine and transmission mounts also. If it only happens when the car is under way, it'd be worthwhile to take a look at the wheels and tires. Look for a thrown wheel balance weight or a bent rim.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 21:20
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
I had a similar problem with my 115c, turned out to be the distributor advance plate, the ball bearing supports brackets had broken and the plate movement was affected. The points gap was wrong as a result,

Regards Fred

Posted on: 2015/5/19 5:27
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
Thanks for the response's this really helps. This happens parked. I purchased this car in November 2014 with very little owner info. Worked winter replacing all rear seals and axle bearings, transmission seals, motor mounts, pan gasket, front bearings and seals. Fuel pump and lines, new complete brake system, water pump, rebuilt carberator, all new body mounts and much more. I now will get into the distribitor and electrical thanks for the suggestions. Dave

Posted on: 2015/5/19 7:29
Learnig
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I had a similar problem with my 115c, turned out to be the distributor advance plate

Good call, pepepackard. That may or may not be the problem but it's a good candidate. I'm often surprised that folks try to put new points in a distributor while it's in the car and not first remove it. It's certainly far easier to install and gap the points and perhaps more importantly presents an opportunity, all too often neglected, to remove the breaker plate and clean and inspect the internals.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 8:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved