Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torrington Bearing B-1012X
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Greetings Know-er of All Things Packard who lurks on the other side of my computer screen!!!!

I have a bunch of parts disassembled and during disassemble I discovered this Torrington Bearing B-1012X needs replacement.

I took a picture of it and I was sure when I got home that I would remember what it was for...however... well...I already forgot.

I believe it was a part of the Electromatic Clutch Linkage however I do not have access to the parts right but I would like to place the order for its replacement. Fred and Max Merritt needs a Packard reference.

Does anyone know what this bearing was used for?

THANKS!!!

Bill

Attach file:

jpg  (7.93 KB)
84982_555a5f2c34a1e.jpg 448X252 px

Posted on: 2015/5/18 16:53
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Torrington Bearing B-1012X
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Size?? The only roller bearings I can think of related to the Electromatic linkage are on either side of the clutch relay lever -- those are approx 13/16 OD and 3/4 wide.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.71 KB)
209_555a6513cfca2.jpg 641X347 px

Posted on: 2015/5/18 17:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd describe that as a caged needle bearing and not a roller bearing though perhaps the distinction is fuzzy. The first application for them that comes to mind quickly is on the king pins of some models/years. If that's where it was, today's pin kits generally replace it with a bronze bushing.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Yes it is a caged needle bearing. Good call.

It is 11/16 wide (deep) and 3/4 in diameter.

Your picture really is a good memory jogger... however...my memory on this thing seems to have already ran away.

I vaguely remember it being installed on the right hand arrow on the JPG you sent.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Posted on: 2015/5/18 18:04
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
These are common needle bearings and should be available off the shelf from a bearing supply house.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
For posterity sake the bearings in question were indeed in locations 3.1385 (one on the left side and one on the right).

They are available on Amazon for $10.00.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 9:51
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Well...ran into another snag and am asking for a cyber lifeline!!!

I purchased new B-1012X bearings and they appear to fit way too loose in the bore of the relay lever. I measured the OD of the bearing and they both measure out as per the specs of 0.815.

The bore of the relay lever measures out at 0.825 so the bearings will slip into the relay lever and have a 0.005 slop on both outside edges (0.010 overall) and the bearing will simply flop around inside the bore.

Both of the bores of the relay lever do not appear to be worn out (they are still round with no visible sign of wear marks/distorted metal) and they look to have a beveled edge.

Am I missing something???

Are they supposed to fit in so loose???

Could anyone measure out their relay lever and let me know if 0.825 is the correct ID of the hole?

THANKS!!!

Bill

Attach file:

jpg  (13.71 KB)
84982_558b08247df6d.jpg 448X252 px

Posted on: 2015/6/24 14:42
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe there is supposed to be a slight chamfer in the holes in lever with just a very narrow center part of the hole being at the bearing diameter. Yours may be worn a slight amount but as long as the bearing is reasonably contained it should be OK.

Since the inner race is on a stud on both sides, at the engine side the engine rocks and moves slightly but the frame side is solidly mounted and fixed. If there was not a provision made for the lever to move and twist ever so slightly in relation to the bearing outer shells via the chamfer there could be a binding situation or even the bearing cracking if the movement between the two sides became large enough.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 15:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks Howard,

My bearing will definitely have movement on the outer edge as i can see daylight and the bearing will fall out.

Does anyone have a known good relay lever that they can measure"

Bill

Posted on: 2015/6/24 16:53
Bill,

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved