Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Windshield Wiper Booster
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi All,

My '55 Patrician has the factory provided Trico vacuum windshield wipers. I've actually had very little trouble with them. The only time they get close to stopping, is if I really stand on the loud pedal in which case the speed cuts to about 1/2, And this is entirely on manifold vacuum as a previous owner replace the OEM Oil Pump with one that doesn't have a vacuum pump. I don't know anything about it but I'm suspecting a sticking relief valve. I intend to drop the pan this Summer to find out just what's in them and with an eye to converting to the Olds unit.

However, when I bought the '55 a box of "parts" came with it. Some '56 Senior trim such as the "V" and Circle from the grille and another from the rear deck. What this posting is about is a cure (or at least a remedy) for fading vacuum wipers. In the parts box was was a Vacuum Canister about the size of small can of "Dinty More" beef stew with a built in check valve.

I replaced the "source" to wiper motor vacuum line with two longer ones. The line that carried the vacuum to the wiper motor now goes to the intake side of the vacuum canister. The other goes from the "Output" nipple to the wiper motor. The length, of course, is to give greater freedom in mounting the canister to the car. At present, the canister is held in place by one of the screws that goes to the Heater Core Assembly. It's not really the best of locations but I want to put some "time in the rain" before I make anything more permanent. The main thing the current heater box location has going for it is that I didn't have to drill any holes. I've been toying with the idea of placing it in the same place as the big Vacuum Canister only on the right (passenger) side of the car instead of vying for space with the big one.

Now I have a wiper set up with all the benefits of a conversion to electric as well as the silence and features that were designed into the vacuum system with it's various speed and sweep areas. Whatever speed selection I make, the vacuum canister makes sure it stays constant. Flooring it does little to change wiper speed.

Part of this is due to the really excellent and strong vacuum my V8 produces so results may vary depending on the condition of your engine.

I've (hopefully) attached a couple of pictures of the set up.

It figures that since I did this back in February Portland has had LA's weather. Indeed most of the time from then to now Portland has had higher temperatures and less rain than Los Angeles. So I really haven't been able to really try it out but so far, It works for me!

Attach file:

jpg  (159.07 KB)
3087_555d46db7210a.jpg 1280X958 px

jpg  (152.09 KB)
3087_555d46f697ef9.jpg 1280X958 px

Posted on: 2015/5/20 21:46
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved