Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 110

37Blanche, JD in KC, Bob J, su8overdrive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Bought a '50 two door last week...
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
HH56:

What attracted me to the car was it's shell.It looked straight and rust free,and it is. The trunk and floor pans are in excellent condition once one gets past all the dust in it.The glass is all there sans the rubber stripping.Some of the thinner side glass is marked "Safety glass". Was safety glass available in 1950,or did the previous owner purchase that too? The four door I bought two months ago has that windshield washer option also.

I still don't understand why one would pull the pistons out from the bottom,though? There seemed to be a lot of effort,time,and money put into this car,and then to have that take place??? You got me.

Let the ride decide
:

LOL! Funny,what people will notice. I hope those ramps never fail given what's underneath it -- some late '40s Plymouth I believe (pictured).
...If you look at that ramp near the front,there are new brake pads that someone just left there. It's as if someone yelled,"Drop the Packard project where it is. We're moving in a different direction...". It's as if time stood still 14 years ago.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.96 KB)
3019_555e11b88972c.jpg 959X1280 px

jpg  (101.37 KB)
3019_555e11c475226.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/5/21 12:12
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Let the ride decide:

By the way,there was a '48 in the Dallas area being advertised for months on Craigslist in a similar stripped position sans the drive train. He last listed it at around $2100 and I was very tempted to purchase it given it was ready for paint and had a wiring harness thrown in also.I presume he finally sold it.Do you know anything about that one?

Attach file:

jpg  (82.41 KB)
3019_555e145dadf40.jpg 796X936 px

Posted on: 2015/5/21 12:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Was safety glass available in 1950,or did the previous owner purchase that too?

Some makes introduced safety glass a year or two in advance of the industry as a whole, but in general safety glass was introduced 1928/29.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 12:54
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Owen:

The reason I asked is that that side windows are half as thick (and light obviously) as the two front windshield panes and that of the rear glass.I had always thought of safety glass as being a '50s thing.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 13:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...side windows are half as thick (and light obviously) as the two front windshield panes and that of the rear glass.

There was pretty much a single standard thickness for laminated safety glass whether front, side or rear, so I guess your car has had some alteration. Tempered (non-laminated) safety glass was a much later development - not sure when but someone else will know but probably in the early 60s.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 13:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Palanirides,
That was sold to a club member 3 in the area. I was told that it was the custom eight 2 door that had been owned by another club member 2, but he had issues with the shop doing the work. I remember seeing it 25 plus years ago, at that time all together and owned by club member 1.

Confused? I hope the car gets put back together, it was a huge 2 door, but really neat looking.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 13:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Hey Palanirides,

You know what I'm going to say don't you? Could you please include the '50 Club Sedan AND your '49 Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 15:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
"Tempered (non-laminated) safety glass was a much later development - not sure when but someone else will know but probably in the early 60s."[/quote]

GM introduced curved, tempered safety glass side windows along with their new "Coke bottle" body styling in the 1965 model year. Not sure when the rest of the industry followed suit.

Posted on: 2015/5/22 0:01
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I recall that Craigslist ad and noticing it was a custom 8 club 2255. Glad to hear a member got it - wondering if it's the member I'm thinking about.

Posted on: 2015/5/22 2:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A new, thinner type of safety glass was introduced in the mid seventies. I have never heard of it being used by glass shops but suppose it is possible. Your car may have had broken glass replaced with new panes made of thinner glass.

You might check with a glass shop and see if the new glass they get these days is thinner than the old pre 1975 stuff.

Posted on: 2015/5/22 11:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved