Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 126

kevinpackard, William Grosz, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1941 Packard 160 club coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

Chad G wrote:
Just came across revised listing on Hemmings...listing has been revised, with no pictures of the engine now.

Hemmings Listing

Hmmm....now you have to wonder about the seller's true intentions. When I called him last week I told him that it was not a 160. I mentioned the items that gave it away, such as the vent windows, fixed grille shutters, etc. But the main thing I said was the 288 casting number was THE "dead-giveaway."

Now that he has taken that specific photo off his ad I think he has made his intentions very clear.

Fortunately, unlike eBay, Hemmings has a button at the bottom, left of the page to report a problem listing.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 13:46
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Unfortunately, not all buyers do their due diligence. The reason I initially posted the car on this forum was in hopes that a buyer would hit the internet and research, and find these posts. I did that with another car over on the AACA website, in regard to a 1939 Graham Sharknose "town car" that was completely bogus. The person who bought the car then hit the AACA forum asking for information. Needless to say, he was a little surprised to find that the car had already been discussed and proven to be a fake.

So, hopefully anyone thinking of buying will stumble in here.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 16:13
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
I just checked the Hemmings link and as of 11:15 tonight the ad has been pulled.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 22:18
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The ebay listing is marked as "sold".

Posted on: 2015/5/27 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...Assuming that someone simply wanted a Packard to drive and enjoy, this old girl still has some value. I think that the 288 engine is better than a modern V-8 of some kind. I guess my question is 'What do you guys think it is worth as a modified 120 weekend driver? I also have a Model 'A' Ford and recently looked at a 1931 Roadster that had a 1937 flathead V-8 in it. It sold for about 2/3 of its normal value. Ernie, Caretaker of the 1949 Packard Deluxe 'Miss Prudence'.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 10:10
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ernie: to me it's worth what a "120" coupe in comparable condition would sell for, minus the costs to install a correct engine and replace any other items like script that are incorrect, plus whatever money you could get by selling the 288 engine.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
It's not the first 120 with 160 trim. Paint the hood. Be honest about what it is. Keep an eye peeled for a 282. My issue is less with what it is than with what it's being misrepresented as.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 10:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Quote:
Hmmm....now you have to wonder about the seller's true intentions. When I called him last week I told him that it was not a 160. I mentioned the items that gave it away, such as the vent windows, fixed grille shutters, etc. But the main thing I said was the 288 casting number was THE "dead-giveaway."

Now that he has taken that specific photo off his ad I think he has made his intentions very clear.

Fortunately, unlike eBay, Hemmings has a button at the bottom, left of the page to report a problem listing.

I feel that this was a case of the seller not knowing exactly what we had for a number of reasons and I feel that he was not trying to deceived anyone on purpose. First off if you look at the picture of the serial plate it clearly starts at D3..... which designates a 19th series 120/8. Secondly As for the "dead giveaway" that it was not a 160 because it had a 288 head, heads will interchange on the 356 from 288,327 and 359 48-54, same head gasket. This has a 3 1/2" or 3 9/16" bore engine for sure. So the engine could be a 288,327 or 356 with a 288 head. The engine was changed at one time, but again the serial number plate tells the story.

As per the listing being taken down or modified the car was sold.

We took the time to email the owner and here was his response.

he had "sold" the car to the Packard Museum in Dayton, actually the museum was acting as an agent for a buyer from Belgium and the buyer was aware that it was really a 120.

The point I am trying to make is that the serial# plate was the answer and contacting the seller solved the mystery. Ebay is not a bad place to do business we have sold and bought many items with little to no issues. But as a buyer you just need to know exactly what you are looking for. Not all sellers are experts in Packard or in what they are selling. But this seller had the serial# in the listing and a photo of the plate as well. No Bad Intentions

Thanks
James
Kanter Auto

Posted on: 2015/5/27 15:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
As I recall, that data plate was a reproduction, with a number on it that didn't look anything like the original serial number. I think it was an engine number, which would explain the "D3".

Posted on: 2015/5/27 16:41
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved